Pool Lights dos and donts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITO

I have a client that wants to put a large domed sculpture over half of his new pool.

This dome would look similar to this: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/always-on-the-lookout-for-61738 , only it would be a fully enclosed dome and be right on top of the water line, and you would access the dome by swimming under the edge, to enter from underneath.

The dome or igloo would be lit in a similar fashion to the link above or this one: http://hiddencityphila.org/2012/10/design-for-the-sky/screen-shot-2012-10-09-at-2-35-25-pm, only the whole structure would be less that 12' from the water.

The problem is 680.22 (B)(1), is pretty clear on the 12' luminaires rule, regardless of the voltage or GFCI protection.

The only options I see to do make this happen is fiber optics, am I wrong?

Any other opinions out there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I tend to agree since there is really no voltage or current at the light end. The light source must be away from the pool.

north star

: - : - :

"I think because the power source is external and the only thing going through the fiber is light, that you might be ok."
Article numbers please !

I am referencing the `08 NEC, so I do not see Article 680.22(B)(1).
The `08 NEC stops at the " (B) ".

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

Article numbers please !

I am referencing the `08 NEC, so I do not see Article 680.22(B)(1).
The `08 NEC stops at the " (B) ".

First point is that the restrictions in 680.22(B)(1) and (2) do not apply equally to totally enclosed luminaires if the dome makes that part of the pool "indoors". And please don't tell me that means you have to enclose the open end of the fiber optics. :)

(B) Luminaires, Lighting Outlets, and Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans.
(1) New Outdoor Installation Clearances. In outdoor pool areas, luminaires, lighting outlets, and ceilingsuspended (paddle) fans installed above the pool or the area extending 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of the pool shall be installed at a height not less than 3.7 m (12 ft) above the maximum water level of the pool.
(2) Indoor Clearances. For installations in indoor pool areas, the clearances shall be the same as for outdoor areas unless modified as provided in this paragraph. If the branch circuit supplying the equipment is protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter, the following equipment shall be permitted at a height not less than 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.) above the maximum pool water level:
(1) Totally enclosed luminaires
(2) Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans identified for use beneath ceiling structures such as provided on porches or patios

In addition to the reduced clearance specified, the overall limits are relaxed even more if this can be considered a permanently installed therapeutic pool. (680.61) :angel:

I think that if the "business end" of the luminaire is mounted outside the 5 foot horizontal datum, you could put the other ends of the fiber anywhere. Just separate the fiber harness from the enclosure of the original luminaire to be sure that they do not constitute one fixture.
Something which just directs light and is not itself a light source, nor connected to a power supply, is not a luminaire.
Luminaire. A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply. It may also include parts to protect the light source or the ballast or to distribute the light. A lampholder itself is not a luminaire.

If you mount a standard luminaire outside the roof of the dome and allow the light to come through a transparent or translucent window, then the restriction should not apply, otherwise it would be illegal to have an indoor pool under a 7 foot ceiling if there are floor lamps on the floor above.
In the end, it all comes down to the individual inspector.

FWIW, a fiber optic "star field" could be very decorative. :)

north star

: - :

Thanks to all for the input !.....Just trying to "connect-the-dots"
from the Letter of the NEC, and not just the intent !

"Therapeutic Pool... me thinks not !

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Thanks to all for the input !.....Just trying to "connect-the-dots"
from the Letter of the NEC, and not just the intent !

"Therapeutic Pool... me thinks not !

The problem is there is no article to give simply because there is no light fixture outlet in the area that may be in question. Now if the lighting outlet was in the area then that would have to comply with code.

Status
Not open for further replies.