pool motor breaker sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I'm wiring a pool w/ several waterfall motors. Two of the group are rated @ 19 amps each @ 240 V. Usually I'll just install a breaker sized to the closest amp rating of the appliance or motor. A DP 30A GFI would seem like the only choice I've got. I dont think a 20A would hold at a 19 amp load. Where is there a code reference to this?

Thanks;
HR

jumper

All I have is Nameplate rating (19amps@240v) Hayward motor

Okay I will assume that is the FLA then. Not really supposed to size conductors and OCPD to that, only overload and that small of a small probably has it built in.

Motors are sized by HP, but not a real big deal here.

I would use a 30 amp breaker and #12 wire.

OCPD for motors is T430.52, you could use a larger breaker, but I doubt you will need it.

Last edited:

hurk27

19 amps @240 volts? thats over 4hp thats some large pumps for a water fall? and you have more then one, I wouldn't want that electric bill.

well as was said if the motor states internally protected all you have to protect for is fault current I would believe you need to size the circuit at 125% (430.22) but 19 amps x 1.25 = 23.75 amps which would mean #12's are still good as # 12 has a 25 amp rating which is on of the places we are allowed to size the conductors to table 310.16, a 30 OCPD should hold since this is not a high torque application if not you can just change it out to the next size up that will hold.

howardrichman

19 amps @240 volts? thats over 4hp thats some large pumps for a water fall? and you have more then one, I wouldn't want that electric bill.

well as was said if the motor states internally protected all you have to protect for is fault current I would believe you need to size the circuit at 125% (430.22) but 19 amps x 1.25 = 23.75 amps which would mean #12's are still good as # 12 has a 25 amp rating which is on of the places we are allowed to size the conductors to table 310.16, a 30 OCPD should hold since this is not a high torque application if not you can just change it out to the next size up that will hold.

Thanks for reply. I'm connecting two of the 19 amp motors and one 1.5 hp motor together on a 60 amp contactor controlled by a pool controller for 3 waterfalls to work together . Also a pool filter, cleaner, and two air blowers for the spa and pool lights. 100 amp feeders are run to a controller sub panel. So yes; I wouldn't want their electric bill.

HR...

kwired

Electron manager
If breaker will not hold during startup this could easily be up to 50 amp breaker and still be code compliant, and still be on 12 AWG conductors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others however I will caution you that this info is based on 75 or 90C wire. If nm is in the loop then this is no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.