Pool motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

Does an isolated grounding rod, not connected to the service panel, qualifies as "grounding the pool motor"?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not in any shape form or fashion.
A ground rod does nothing of consequence in providing an equipment ground path and an isolated ground rod serves no purpose toward connecting your pump to the equipotential bond. A pool motor needs a low impedance path to the service ground and needs a connection to the pool equipotential bond system.

Esthy

Thanks augie47, whoa, you have a wonderful expression form. I wish I have that. I have been recently writing a lot, as I re-entered the market after I retired but my wife kick-me out as I got in her nervous, but I am finding things out that I never experience. I was called to "clean" a panel and fix some recently upgrades to the attic in an AWG 12 aluminum wiring (?) and when I questioned about the "mombo-jumbo" installation to the pool, the answered was that the pool company took care of...

I am not to familiar with this pool situation as it has a web of conduits, none of the GFCIs working, can a grounding conductor from that rod or bypassing this rod, if nothing is available, bring to the service panel system? OR Should I run from that place?

I tried to tell those neophyte, than been a licensee I can be liable if something happened in that pool. The older I get that scare I get.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would suggest to you that you read Article 680 in the NEC. Look at 680.26 for equipotential bonding. Equipotential bonding is totally different than grounding and bonding in the electrical system. A ground rod has nothing to do with the equipotential bonding and for sure if it's an isolated rod do not connect anything to it except a grounding electrode conductor, which would have to come from the grounding system of the premises.

The pump motor should have an EGC (ground wire) unless it is double insulated. If there is an equipotential grid around the pool the motor should be connected to that via the bonding lug on the outside of the motor.

If you can't figure this out I would stay away from this job since it involves a pool and could be very dangerous if not handled correctly.

kwired

Electron manager
Does an isolated grounding rod, not connected to the service panel, qualifies as "grounding the pool motor"?
It does ground the pool motor. It does not bond the pool motor to the electrical system grounding conductor network.

Chances are the supply circuit does include an equipment grounding conductor which does bond the pool motor to the rest of the electrical system grounding conductor network and ultimately through the main/system bonding jumper to the grounded conductor of the source.

The external grounding lug on the pump motor is not for earth grounding but rather for equipotential bonding that must occur between other components of the pool to minimize stray voltage potential to users of the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.