Pool Outlet Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

adagys

I have loaded off a pool pump receptacle (20 twist lock) from a 20 Amp GFI which is located right next to it. Every time the pump kicks on it trips the GFI. This pump was plugged in to a 15A GFI located 75' away and there were no problems so I know it is not the pump. Is this happening because I loaded it off?

iwire

Staff member
I have loaded off a pool pump receptacle (20 twist lock) from a 20 Amp GFI which is located right next to it. Every time the pump kicks on it trips the GFI. This pump was plugged in to a 15A GFI located 75' away and there were no problems so I know it is not the pump. Is this happening because I loaded it off?

I would change the GFCI and see what happens, the fact that your off the load side by just a few inches makes no difference.

iwire

Staff member
Then you got me. :D

Just wondering, what gauge was the extension cord and branch circuit conductors that you used for testing.

Adding impedance into the circuit (a long cord etc) could lower the inrush current going into the motor much like putting it on low. If the pump motor is marginal the problem may only show up under the heaviest current load condition.

But that is some serious guessing going on and I make no premises. :smile:

adagys

Never fails!! The homeowner had a 75' 14/3 extension cord plugged into a GFI at the front of the house for three years. The GFI was 15A and 14 guage wire. No problems.
I install a two gang bell box with a 20A GFI and load off the 20A twist lock right next to it. I fed the new outlet with (3) 12G stranded wires and ran 50' back to panel. I am going to remove the GFI and put in a regular outlet and twist lock then go back to panel and put in a GFI breaker and cross my fingers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
First off I want to say you have a pump problem. Are you sure the old GFCI is functioning?????

Second, what is the amp draw on the motor? I ask this because I wonder if you are violating 210.23(A)(2)

adagys

I am not sure what the amp draw is on the motor, but there was no problem when plugged into a 15A GFI located 75' away with an extension cord. I thought it would be the pump but it did not trip the GFI when I plugged it back into the original location.

adagys

The new GFI I installed, which I am loading the pool receptacle off of, has the furnace and the pool light plugged into it. Would that make a difference? I am not tripping the breaker, only the GFI when the pool pump is turned on high

Conductors 'leak' current. If enough current is leaked, it will create a situation where the GFCI may trip constantly.
The length of the different conductors added up are additive. Approximately how long are the different runs to the different equipment?

muckusmc

The new GFI I installed, which I am loading the pool receptacle off of, has the furnace and the pool light plugged into it. Would that make a difference? I am not tripping the breaker, only the GFI when the pool pump is turned on high

Does it trip with the light and furnace not plugged in???

adagys

The pools furnace has a 3' cord (for ignitor only) and the transformer for the pool light has a cord about the same. I supplied a 2G bell box and everything is in pipe right back to the panel. Three wires, no splices. The furnace and pool light are plugged into the GFI and I loaded off the 20A twist lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.