POOL POST LIGHT /LOAD SIDE OF GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcat555

Mentor, Ohio (25 miles east of Cleveland)
Occupation
Retired Electrician IBEW Local 38
i AM INSTALLING A POST LIGHT NEAR A POOL. tHIS IS A HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM LIGHT, HENCE A DELAYED START-UP.POWER FOR THIS LIGHT COMES FROM THE LOAD SIDE OF A GFI RECEPTACLE. WHEN THE LIGHT FIRES TO COME ON, IT TRIPS THE GFI. IS THIS COMMON WHEN USING A GFI TO POWER A HPS LIGHT?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: POOL POST LIGHT /LOAD SIDE OF GFI

Mudcat, please turn off the Caps Lock feature, it looks like you're shouting. Or hard of hearing.

I haven't had that problem (or at least didn't hear back if I did).

Why are you GFI protecting a HPS fixture? Shallow trench?

mudcat555

Mentor, Ohio (25 miles east of Cleveland)
Occupation
Retired Electrician IBEW Local 38

GEORGESTOLZ, My reason for the gfi feeding the high pressure sodium light, is to be compliant with code 680-6 (b) (2). I sunk a 12 foot wolmanized post 4 foot into the ground to overcome Ohio's winter frost line, leaving the fixture height at 8 foot above ground, 4 foot above pool water level.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by mudcat555:
GEORGESTOLZ, My reason for the gfi feeding the high pressure sodium light, is to be compliant with code 680-6 (b) (2). I sunk a 12 foot wolmanized post 4 foot into the ground to overcome Ohio's winter frost line, leaving the fixture height at 8 foot above ground, 4 foot above pool water level.
Teach me for not seeing "NEAR A POOL" in your original post. :)

Looking on...

680.22(B) Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures), Lighting Outlets, and Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans.
(1) New Outdoor Installation Clearances.
In outdoor pool areas, luminaires (lighting fixtures), lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans installed above the pool or the area extending 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of the pool shall be installed at a height not less than 3.7 m (12 ft) above the maximum water level of the pool.

(4) GFCI Protection in Adjacent Areas. Luminaires (lighting fixtures), lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans installed in the area extending between 1.5 m (5 ft) and 3.0 m (10 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool shall be protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter unless installed not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) above the maximum water level and rigidly attached to the structure adjacent to or enclosing the pool.
So, if your fixture is within 5' of the pool, it would have to be 12' in the air, but no GFI protection is required. If it's between 5' and 10' away, it would require GFI protection if it were less than 5' above max water level.

How far away is your fixture?

Again, this is working off the 2002, which, judging from the mass of change-bars along this text, I'd imagine it could be wildly different.

Now, I'll step aside and let someone qualified answer. :D

[ August 30, 2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.