pool power cord size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install a pool pump for an above ground pool. The pool is four feet deep. The inspector failed my inspection for the gauge of wire the pump CAME with. I believe it is a 16 gauge molded plug cord. He has sited code NEC680-7 saying the flexible cord shall be wired with a No. 12 copper equipment grounding conductor. So if i try and stick a #12 flex cord in where the 16 is haha aint gonna happen. Second if I try to hard wire it this guy will gig me for it not attaching to the pump with conduit properly. So how is it that a pump manufacturer can put a pump on the market that doesn't pass NEC. HELP

websparky

Re: pool power cord size?

"680.7 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment.
Fixed or stationary equipment........"

Is this equipement the type that is removable for the off season?

If so, the above does not apply.

websparky

Permanent....
(the 12AWG is in reference to the EGC)

Here are the choices;

2002 NEC 680.21 (5) Cord-and-Plug Connections. Pool-associated motors shall be permitted to employ cord-and-plug connections. The flexible cord shall not exceed 900 mm (3 ft) in length. The flexible cord shall include an equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with 250.122 and shall terminate in a grounding-type attachment plug.
(B) Double Insulated Pool Pumps. A listed cord-and-plug-connected pool pump incorporating an approved system of double insulation that provides a means for grounding only the internal and nonaccessible, non?current-carrying metal parts of the pump shall be connected to any wiring method recognized in Chapter 3 that is suitable for the location.

[ September 11, 2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: websparky ]

so is the grounding conductor size in 250.122 12 gauge. If so that would be where he came up with the idea that my cord is the wrong size. It is 3' in length and terminates in a gfci breaker outlet.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In my opinion the inspector is correct. 680.7(B) and 680.21(A)(1) both require the equipment ground to be sized according to 250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG. If this pump came with a factor installed 16AWG cord but did not included instructions for changing the cord it should be returned to the manufacture. If you change the cord yourself I would think you are voiding the listing of the pump.

hurk27

If the motor is double insulated then you Don't. You have to Look for this on the motor label.

(B) Double Insulated Pool Pumps. A listed cord-and-plug-connected pool pump incorporating an approved system of double insulation that provides a means for grounding only the internal and non accessible, non?current-carrying metal parts of the pump shall be connected to any wiring method recognized in Chapter 3 that is suitable for the location

[ September 12, 2003, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.