pool pump gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjackson

I thought pool pumps had to be Gfci protected but after studying the code I am wiring a 240 volt pool pump without gfci protection I am right arent I?

dillon3c

Re: pool pump gfci

680.22(5)2005 NEC
Quote: --"Receptacles"- that supply pool pump motors and that are rated 15 or 20 amperes, 125 volts through 250 volts, single phase,shall be provided with GFCI protection.

codeunderstanding

jjackson A permanently installed pool pump hard wired does not need gfci protection. All receptacles that supply pumps rated 15and 20 amps 120v-240v needs it. 680.22

I have a question. Can you supply a pool pump with uf for a above ground permanently installed pool?

dillon3c

680.21 (Motors)(a)(1)---Any wiring method employed shall contain an " insulated copper grounding conductor"..

pierre

680.21 Motors.
(A) Wiring Methods.
(1) General. The branch circuits for pool-associated motors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or Type MC cable listed for the location. Other wiring methods and materials
shall be permitted in specific locations or applications as covered in this section.

(4) One-Family Dwellings. In the interior of one-family dwellings, or in the interior of accessory buildings associated with a one-family dwelling, any of the wiring methods recognized in Chapter 3 of this Code shall be permitted that comply with the provisions of this paragraph. Where run in
a raceway, the equipment grounding conductor shall be insulated. Where run in a cable assembly, the equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to be uninsulated, but it shall be enclosed within the outer sheath of the cable
assembly.

As per (A)(1), there are 4 permitted methods, UF not being one of them.
Notice how there is a statement " Other wiring methods and materials shall be permitted in specific locations or applications as covered in this section.

Further in this section, (A)(4) permits for dwelling units interior wiring to be any permitted chapter 3 method.

To answer your question of whether UF is permitted for outdoor installation to a permanent pool, I would say no.

As per .21(B), for double insulated motors, any chapter 3 method that is permitted for the location would be permitted. For this type of motor I would say yes to UF cable. But don't forget about the last sentence in this section. If you have that situation, then a raceway will be required. ( the last sentence is in the '05 NEC, it is not in the '02 version )

Isn't this fun :eek:

[ May 04, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

mc5w

However, the manufacturer might REQUIRE GFCI protection regardless of what NEC says. Same goes for the UL listing.

If the manufacturer specifies a greater requirement than NEC, such a GFCI or extra hefty wires, you MUST follow the manufacturer's directions.

That said, any pool pump manufacturer is going to require GFCI as matter of avoiding liability.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

That said, any pool pump manufacturer is going to require GFCI as matter of avoiding liability.
I have have yet to see one pump manufacture require GFCI protection. It would be imposible to provide GFCI protection for many pumps on commercial pools because of the voltage and size.

Status
Not open for further replies.