Pool Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

The pool companies are pushing these resin pools, the HO said their line is "the pool cost more but you don't have to pay the electrician to go around the pool and bond in 4 spots." The only metal is the inner wall supposedly and they provide a lug where it bolts together and #8 solid to go to the pump. Do you still need to go around the pool with a grid?

Devin Hanes

680.26(B)(2), 2017 NEC
(2) Perimeter Surfaces. The perimeter surface to be bonded shall be considered to extend for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces and other types of paving. ....... . Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(2)(a) or (2)(b)....

I believe what you're describing would fall under 680.26(B)(2) and need bonding using (a) or (b)(what I believe you are referring to as a "grid")

680.26(B)(2) continued
and shall be attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conductor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the pool. For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points shall not be required.
(a) Structural Reinforcing Steel. Structural reinforcing steel shall be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B)(1)(a).
(b) Alternate Means. Where structural reinforcing steel is not available or is encapsulated in a nonconductive compound, a copper conductor(s) shall be utilized where the following requirements are met:
(1) At least one minimum 8 AWG bare solid copper conductor shall be provided.
(2) The conductors shall follow the contour of the perimeter surface.
(3) Only listed splices shall be permitted.
(4) The required conductor shall be 450 mm to 600 mm (18 in. to 24 in.) from the inside walls of the pool.
(5) The required conductor shall be secured within or under the perimeter surface 100 mm to 150 mm (4 in. to 6 in.) below the subgrade.

680.26(B)
(B) Bonded Parts. The parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) through (B)(7) shall be bonded together.....

Or maybe see (B)(1) if you're are asking about the shell

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The pool companies are pushing these resin pools, the HO said their line is "the pool cost more but you don't have to pay the electrician to go around the pool and bond in 4 spots." The only metal is the inner wall supposedly and they provide a lug where it bolts together and #8 solid to go to the pump. Do you still need to go around the pool with a grid?
Yes, you still need to circle the pool. Only thing different is the 4 bonding points. I've done several non conductive pool shells and the circle/halo is required. Don't forget you have to also bond the water.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor

I'm curious as to the company that states this. I'm guessing this is a vinyl pool with the resin walls?
Interesting they say the pool costs more. Compared to what? Concrete or fiberglass?

Yes, you need to circle the pool and bond the water as other posts noted. Ladders and rail sockets,. diving board bases must be bonded as well. And of course any wet niche light.

paulengr

I'm curious as to the company that states this. I'm guessing this is a vinyl pool with the resin walls?
Interesting they say the pool costs more. Compared to what? Concrete or fiberglass?

Yes, you need to circle the pool and bond the water as other posts noted. Ladders and rail sockets,. diving board bases must be bonded as well. And of course any wet niche light.

Resin support walls cost more than steel on vinyl. Either way fiberglass and concrete are higher yet.

GerryB

A company called Galvin pools in Ct. I guess they are assuming since you only bond one spot then you don't need to go around the perimeter. They should not be telling customers that. Another thing I have run into is the pool companies sell the water bond that goes in line with the filter but they don't include it when they set up the pool. When I asked them why not they said "we don't get involved with the wiring. (I guess just to give false info:()

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
A company called Galvin pools in Ct. I guess they are assuming since you only bond one spot then you don't need to go around the perimeter. They should not be telling customers that. Another thing I have run into is the pool companies sell the water bond that goes in line with the filter but they don't include it when they set up the pool. When I asked them why not they said "we don't get involved with the wiring. (I guess just to give false info:()
Geeeeez
Welcome to my world of competition.
The water bond has to be "plumbed in". It's totally their responsibility.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
I didn't have to do the halo around my fiberglass pool. I just had to hit where the ladder was, light niche and at the pool pump. I did bond the mesh they put in for the slab around the pool though.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I didn't have to do the halo around my fiberglass pool. I just had to hit where the ladder was, light niche and at the pool pump. I did bond the mesh they put in for the slab around the pool though.
We did a big commercial pool about 10 years ago and we did run the bond wire around the perimeter. My mason had prepped the for the concrete pour around the pool with mesh. The inspector came out and told me I could have bonded my 4 tails to the wire mesh and it would have been fine with him. We did hit the mesh as it was within 5' of the water. Others have insisted the #8 is in place. We do it no matter what. It's easy to run it out.
We hit ladder and rail sockets as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.