Pool Shock 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahilliard

I also recently received a call from a friend telling me about some fatal instances across the nation where children have grabbed the pool hand rail and were electrocuted badly. I never watch the news so I wasn't familiar with the stories but apparently one instance was caught on video and was talked about on Good Morning America. My question is...does anyone know what the circumstances were for this to happen? and what exactly has been done or should be done to correct the issue? For something like that to be fatal, it would obviously need to be a constant voltage/current and I would assume that the required bonding wasn't properly completed if completed at all. Just wondering if anyone has more info about these instances...like I said I don't watch the news and I hadn't previously heard anything about it.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
grabbed from where, from the decking, or from within the water? i suspect the railings were either isolated to the water or isolated to the decking. those reports should have included some voltage measurements between pool water and railing, or railing and decking (depending on how the railing was attached).

w/o much more info than you supplied, either the decking or the pool water had supply voltage, thus a potential. it doestnt need to be high voltage, a 12v car battery with water can lead to death, etc.

and yes, proper grounding/bonding of items in/around the water would likely have prevented the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.