Pool Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
its not all plastic, but insulators are the things that foster static charge build-up. if you leave or pull electrons from the plastic you will be charged. then touching something that allows the charge to neutralize (like pool water) you'll likely get a small quick zap, not much different then dragging your feet on carpet (w/ or w/o shoes).

a wet Trex deck should yield little/no static charge build-up. a dry deck (a dry plastic insulator) will be different.

well, maybe, depends on how the conductive material is used. next is how to convince the folks who make Trex to make a new special product for "pool decking use, anti-static and bondable for safety".
What I meant was the "glue" holding the "wood and plastic" together needs to have some conductive material in it.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
What I meant was the "glue" holding the "wood and plastic" together needs to have some conductive material in it.
sure, but convince the maker to use a special "conductive" glue.
perhaps next Q is, what Trex product was used? in 2014 they stopped making the old technology decking (aka "early-generation").
deck materials like Trex are UL listed, but do not have any conductive tests. perhaps something the NEC should take a look at. a stray voltage on a wet insulator is also very bad.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
sure, but convince the maker to use a special "conductive" glue.
perhaps next Q is, what Trex product was used? in 2014 they stopped making the old technology decking (aka "early-generation").
If there is enough static electricity problems with the product why wouldn't they consider something that may reduce static?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Note that for the most part "natural" wood does not exhibit this problem. Either it is more conductive or it develops less static electricity from friction.

Tapatalk!

FionaZuppa

Occupation
If there is enough static electricity problems with the product why wouldn't they consider something that may reduce static?

well, this is the 1st time i have heard of a static charge issue with Trex. i guess your Q is best answered by Trex.

kwired

Electron manager
well, this is the 1st time i have heard of a static charge issue with Trex. i guess your Q is best answered by Trex.
True, but I have seen many plastic products over a wide variety of uses that commonly have static charge issues. Most of the time minor enough issues that people don't take much notice. This one being in proximity to a pool maybe is worse then usual because of the better "ground" at the pool then many other applications generally have.

I'm fairly certain there are plastic products out there that do have added conductive material within them for the purpose of minimizing static charges. May not be enough material to be noticed easily but is in there.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
True, but I have seen many plastic products over a wide variety of uses that commonly have static charge issues. Most of the time minor enough issues that people don't take much notice. This one being in proximity to a pool maybe is worse then usual because of the better "ground" at the pool then many other applications generally have.

I'm fairly certain there are plastic products out there that do have added conductive material within them for the purpose of minimizing static charges. May not be enough material to be noticed easily but is in there.
sure, computer room raised floor panels are anti-static plastic panels. its applied in practice, but apparently not in outdoor residential decking materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.