pool sub panel 219 feet, 100 amp

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't know, the pool man just asked me for a 100 amp panel. He did say the heater is gas .
Well then you'll need to decide what number you will use in the VD calculation. When it comes down to the actual load it is possible that 40 or 50 amps will give you the 3% VD you're looking for. If he'll pay for 100 amps of load in the calculation then go with that.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
One thing to consider about voltage job is the actual voltage you're starting with.

If you start with 240v, a 3% drop will leave you with 232.8

If you start with 245v (very common) then a 5% drop leaves you with 232.75

Don't go for a set percentage, go for a percentage which leaves you with good voltage after drop

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
That’s all well and good, but there’s no way in H-E-double hockey sticks the actual load is anyway near 100A.
If it's a basic pool no way it's even close. But last year we did a pool.equipment room that used every bit of %80 load on a 400 amp 3 phase sub panel. 12 pumps, 60 lights(yes 60 lights), fog machines, underwater speakers, slide from spa down to pool, etc, cabana, bubblers, firebowls,waterfall, pond, For a house. 1000040462.jpg

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If it's a basic pool no way it's even close. But last year we did a pool.equipment room that used every bit of %80 load on a 400 amp 3 phase sub panel. 12 pumps, 60 lights(yes 60 lights), fog machines, underwater speakers, slide from spa down to pool, etc, cabana, bubblers, firebowls,waterfall, pond, For a house. View attachment 2572377
Some people just have too much money. Personal opinion, of course. Then again, they are keeping it in circulation.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If the pool person wants 100 amps give it to him and charge for it.
Exactly. I wired a brand new house a couple of years ago with the most basic pool. It was just a pump, filter and one light

And they didn't need anything more than a 20 amp mwbc

Pool installer wanted a 100 amp panel. Homeowner said put whatever the pool guy wanted

Okie dokie 👍
100 amps it is

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Exactly. I wired a brand new house a couple of years ago with the most basic pool. It was just a pump, filter and one light

And they didn't need anything more than a 20 amp mwbc

Pool installer wanted a 100 amp panel. Homeowner said put whatever the pool guy wanted

Okie dokie 👍
100 amps it is

A heater/chiller sale is going to be far easier in 2-3/yrs if the 100A sub-panel is already in place. If the customer has to swallow another $3k in electrical costs to get an $8k piece of equipment, they're more likely to say no.