Poor man's PQ monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakulak

I like it. The idea is so simple. Makes me wonder why some genius hasn't made a similar interface to piggy back it onto your wireless network as an rf signal so you could monitor your power from any computer on the network.

wireguru

neat idea, but a bad way to go about it. I dont trust that little transformer for isolation from mains to computer. Should have a few thousand volts of optical isolation.

wireguru said:
neat idea, but a bad way to go about it. I dont trust that little transformer for isolation from mains to computer.

Why not? That's all there is in most power supplies. Use a listed transformer and be done with it. If you really want to, add a second isolation transformer. (FWIW, I think my old Dranetz uses transformers that are about a 3/4" cube.)

To make things more interesting, I'd "customize" the recording software to process out the 60 Hz fundamental and display that separately from the raw input. That'll give a nice view of harmonics & transients.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
mdshunk said:
None of the above. I say it's "American Ingenuity".

I think it's a cool idea too. I was just curious what real sparkies thought of this.

nakulak said:
... Makes me wonder why some genius hasn't made a similar interface to piggy back it onto your wireless network as an rf signal so you could monitor your power from any computer on the network.
zbang said:
To make things more interesting, I'd "customize" the recording software to process out the 60 Hz fundamental and display that separately from the raw input. That'll give a nice view of harmonics & transients.

...and you're thinking of improvements for it, too :smile: You guys rock!

Great Idea - Just Use a Safer Transformer

Great Idea - Just Use a Safer Transformer

wireguru said:
neat idea, but a bad way to go about it. I dont trust that little transformer for isolation from mains to computer. Should have a few thousand volts of optical isolation.

The only thing that needs to change to make this setup safe (and eliminate the need for the safety-grounded box and fuses), is to use a European (240 VAC, 50/60 Hz rated) "wall wart" plug-in transformer that outputs 5 or 6 volts AC. If it is approved by all the major agencies (UL, TUV, etc.) it will be a safe, double-insulated, thermally-protected unit.

Bill Whitlock, president & chief engineer
Jensen Transformers, Inc.
Chatsworth, CA

catchtwentytwo

76nemo said:
Has anyone here had their curiousity get the best of them and tried this yet?

I passed it on to an IT guy who likes to tinker and has an understanding of power. If he actually tries it, I let you know. :rolleyes: Better his PC than mine!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.