Porch recess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have installed a 6" shallow recess can in the ceiling of a porch at the front door of a SFD. The siding guys are wrapping the eves and alcove and I have been asked to lower the housing about 2". The existing ceiling material is 1/4" plywood.

There is no access above this portion of the front porch. I was planning on using the trim to "make-up" the difference.

PS I did not know how far down the siding was going to be mounted.

Any thoughts?

Occupation
Inspector
The remodel can I used does not have the inner can that will move. The can is held in place with clips that hold the can to the surface.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this a Lightolier frame-in kit? I believe that they make a extension piece for frames that are set in extra deep.

gndrod

The remodel can I used does not have the inner can that will move. The can is held in place with clips that hold the can to the surface.

Are the trim spring clips long enough to make up the 2" drop? The trim and can outside may require a damp location listing so the trim/lens needs a gasket seal. Is the exterior 2" drop in the ceiling a smooth cover for sealing? rbj

nakulak

those things are a pain. I have trouble getting the trims to hold sometimes when they are put in just right , if you figure out a way to make it work post a pic.

I have installed a 6" shallow recess can in the ceiling of a porch at the front door of a SFD. The siding guys are wrapping the eves and alcove and I have been asked to lower the housing about 2". The existing ceiling material is 1/4" plywood.

There is no access above this portion of the front porch. I was planning on using the trim to "make-up" the difference.

PS I did not know how far down the siding was going to be mounted.

Any thoughts?

I guess I would either build the 1/4" plywood ceiling down with 2" x 4" on the flat, then use 1/2" sheetrock or plywood. Cut out your hole and remount can.

What are the siding guys wrapping the ceiling with? Soffit? What are they going to nail it to? Sounds like the framer needs to put some nailers in anyway.

Another option could be to tell the siders to put a siding block on the ceiling .... although I don't know if they can be used in that manner for a recess can.

Ohmy

If the siding is not already installed, pull the remodel can out and leave the wire. Then cut a new hole and install your remodel can after the siding is installed. If the siding is already installed, demolition the existing can and install a new remodel can flush with the lower siding.

With the way you propose to do it....how would you get to the junction box on the light?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the siding is not already installed, pull the remodel can out and leave the wire. Then cut a new hole and install your remodel can after the siding is installed. If the siding is already installed, demolition the existing can and install a new remodel can flush with the lower siding.
The problem with that is it leaves only the soffit plastic to support the can, which it won't do well.

One possible fix is to remove the can, screw a pair of 2x2's alongside the hole in the plywood, then have the siders install the soffit with a hole cut for the can.

Then, attach the can to the 2x2's with a pair of screws through holes drilled in each side of the can and install the trim.

I guess I would either build the 1/4" plywood ceiling down with 2" x 4" on the flat, then use 1/2" sheetrock or plywood. Cut out your hole and remount can.

What are the siding guys wrapping the ceiling with? Soffit? What are they going to nail it to? Sounds like the framer needs to put some nailers in anyway.

Another option could be to tell the siders to put a siding block on the ceiling .... although I don't know if they can be used in that manner for a recess can.

I have performed similar methods to rework just such situations.

Occupation
Inspector
The siding is 1.5" below the remodel mounted housing. The vinyl siding under the eve has been blocked by the siding folks and the trim for the luminaire is spring mounted so the trim makes up the gap between the siding and eve substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.