portable charger

ceb58

Need an opinion on a mobile solar car charging station. This unit is pulled into place on a trailer with hydraulic lifts. When in place it is lowered to the ground and unhooked from the trailer and the trailer is pulled away leaving the charging station sitting on the ground. The station has receptacles for plugging the charging cables into. A 120v drop cord is ran to this unit to make sure that the batteries never go below 25% if there is too much cloud cover to fully charge the batteries. My thoughts are that this unit must comply with 690.47 A ( 2017) in having a grounding electrode system installed. The tech's from the company that make these units are saying that since it is not grid tied it doesn't need the grounding electrodes installed. What are your thoughts?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I sure would like to see the specs on this unit. Just off the top of my head I can't imagine the math on this would charge many cars.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I sure would like to see the specs on this unit. Just off the top of my head I can't imagine the math on this would charge many cars.
I very seldom see anybody at a charging station in the suburbs and small towns, so it might just be efficient enough for the few cars that do pull up.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If it is truly mobile and moved often enough (and not just being called that while being left in one location indefinitely), then I daresay the NEC has no jurisdiction over it. Or, to the extent it would, I agree with Larry.

(Also what would grounding it help, anyway?)

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
If it is truly mobile and moved often enough (and not just being called that while being left in one location indefinitely), then I daresay the NEC has no jurisdiction over it. Or, to the extent it would, I agree with Larry.

(Also what would grounding it help, anyway?)

Absolutely agree that this isn’t under the purview of the NEC.

Is this like the Tesla holiday chargers they bring in to high use sites?

I’ve seen the one mentioned in that article where I live.