Portable generator output voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

wml52

I was recently given a 19 YO Generac PP5000 5000 watt generator which was not working. After replacing the carb and 40 uF capacitor (self excited brushless gen-head no AVR) and dialing in the governor I am getting the following voltage outputs

No load 124.8 volts @ 62.4 Hz
1260 watt resistive load 116.7 volts @ 61.4 Hz
2645 watt resistive load 116.4 volts @ 59.8 Hz
4467 watts resistive load 101.9 volts @ 56.6 Hz
1/2 HP well pump 116.9 volts @ 61.5 Hz

This is about the best I could get it dialed in without over shooting the no load RPM of 3750. Do those numbers seem acceptable?

JFletcher

The 4467W loading is over 89% of a brand-new 5000W genset's load capacity. Most portable generators would be run at 80% capacity, maximum. An almost 20 year old 5kW portable generator, I wouldnt run it above 70%. Your readings seem fine to me. Welcome to the forum.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
The 4467W loading is over 89% of a brand-new 5000W genset's load capacity. Most portable generators would be run at 80% capacity, maximum. An almost 20 year old 5kW portable generator, I wouldnt run it above 70%. Your readings seem fine to me. Welcome to the forum.

Agreed.

wml52

Thank you for the welcome and for the responses it is appreciated.

The loads I placed on the generator were just to test the output voltage especially the 4467 watt resistive load. I know most cheep portable generators are typically over rated.

The generator will only be used as back-up power for running essentials, well pump, oil fired furnace, a few lights, fridge and the occassional 3500 watt water heater which is a managed load. Typically I don't see this generator ever running past 50% load with the exception of the water heater in which case all of the other loads with the exception of the lights will be turned off until the water is back up to temp.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.