Portable generator

jurj

Occupation
Electrician
Using a portable generator for backfeed the house when we lost power, Using a interlock and a 50 amp twist cord,what we have to do with the generator?most of the generator are bounded, I understand what code is saying regarding of first means of disconnect,I have 3 different type of gen all bounded, I never took out the jumper betwen ground and neutral on generator and everything work fine, all afci,gfci work good, spoke with multiple electricians most of them are not touching the gen,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So you're using a four wire inlet and cord set? Typically the neutral bond in the generator is removed. Depending on the generator this can be a less than 10 minute job.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes 4 wire
So your generator setup is a non-SDS therefore the neutral needs to be unbonded at the transformer. You'll also need a sign at the inlet.

702.7(C) Power Inlet.
Where a power inlet is used for a temporary connection to a portable generator, a warning sign shall be placed near the inlet to indicate the type of derived system that the system is capable of based on the wiring of the transfer equipment. The sign shall display one of the following warnings:

WARNING:
FOR CONNECTION OF A SEPARATELY DERIVED (BONDED NEUTRAL) SYSTEM ONLY
or
WARNING:
FOR CONNECTION OF A NONSEPARATELY DERIVED (FLOATING NEUTRAL) SYSTEM ONLY