Portable Generators used with Manual Transfer Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleybob

NEC 702.10 requires that households with an optional standby system to have either:

(A) Transfer equipment that switches the grounded (neutral) conductor and a generator with its grounded (neutral) conductor bonded to the case.

OR

(B) Transfer equipment that does not switch the grounded (neutral) conductor and a generator with its grounded (neutral) conductor not bonded to the case, also known as a “Neutral Floating Generator.”

Several companies market manual transfer equipment (generator panels) with a 120/240V power inlet. A portable generator is then to be connected to the generator panel with a twist lock cord. All of the generator panels that I have looked at switch the ungrounded conductors only. The neutral remains solidly connected at the generator panel.

Most portable generators have the neutral bonded to the frame.

The use of neutral bonded generators and the above referenced manual transfer equipment is a code violation (neutral bonded to ground in two locations) and would cause current to flow in the grounding conductor, creating a safety hazard.

What is the appropriate solution to this problem? I would wager that this scenario exists in most homes with a generator panel and portable generator.

You could alter the portable generator so that the neutral is no longer bonded to the frame. But, what if this generator (likely to have 120 V receptacles) were to then be used to energize plug and cord equipment? A safety hazard would be created. Additionally, would a manufacturer permit this alteration?

As an alternative, could you omit, or sever, the grounded (neutral) conductor between the generator and the generator panel? This would effectively create a 2 pole, 3 wire 240 V connection between the generator and the generator panel. Current for 120 V circuits in the generator panel would then return via the unswitched grounded (neutral) conductor to the main panel. Would this proposal satisfy the requirements of NEC 702.10 and NEC 250?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Portable Generators used with Manual Transfer Equipment

All current from the generator must return to the generator. If you do not have a grounded (neutral) conductor from the generator to the house you will have an open neutral and will damage the household electrical equipment.
Don

harleybob

Don:

Is there an alternative cost-effective, safe method to eliminating the above referenced condition where circulating currents are allowed to flow in parallel.

I have been considering adding a generator panel in my house. Upon investigating, three of my neighbors have set-ups described in the above referenced fashion.

It doesn't appear feasible to alter their generators to float the neutral. When they consulted their electricians, the replies varied from "I wouldn't be concerned about it" to suggesting that the problem be resolved by driving a ground rod at the generator and connecting the generator frame to that rod.

I don't think these solutions are proper. Would it be possible to omit the grounding conductor connection between the generator and the generator panel? I seem to recall reading a post from Bennie, suggesting this as an alternative. But I cannot recall if Bennie's example had the transfer switch ahead of the main panel or not.

G

Once a portable generator is hooked up to a transfer switch it becomes a permanent generator and is forever subject to the NEC rules regarding permanent generators.

Insert your own comma splices at will if the above run-on sentence does not make sense to you after you read it over and over.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Bob,
In most generators it is very easy to remove the bonding jumper from the neutral to the frame. Some of the other threads have indicated that a number of the portable generators on the market do not have this bond installed by the manufacturer. This isolation is the only easy, cost effective method that I know of to make the installation code compliant.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.