Portable Power Cord for Marina Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone actually make a cable that meets ALL the requirements listed in 555.13(A)(2)?

555.13(A)(2) requires all the following:

BE EXTRA HARD USAGE PORTABLE POWER CABLE RATED FOR NOT LESS THAN 75 DEG. AND 600 VOLTS, LISTED FOR BOTH WET LOCATIONS AND SUNLIGHT RESISTANCE, AND HAVING AN OUTER JACKED RATED TO BE RESISTANT TO TEMPERATURE EXTREMES, OIL, GASOLINE, OZONE, ABRASION, ACIDS, AND CHEMICALS.

I can find lots of cables that meet some of those requirements, but none that meet all. A search for "marina portable power cables" turns up portable cords with plugs - not portable cables.

And I can't find any manufacturers that state that list all that on one cable. And nobody seems to state their cables are suitable for "Marina Applications".

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Does anyone actually make a cable that meets ALL the requirements listed in 555.13(A)(2)?

555.13(A)(2) requires all the following:

BE EXTRA HARD USAGE PORTABLE POWER CABLE RATED FOR NOT LESS THAN 75 DEG. AND 600 VOLTS, LISTED FOR BOTH WET LOCATIONS AND SUNLIGHT RESISTANCE, AND HAVING AN OUTER JACKED RATED TO BE RESISTANT TO TEMPERATURE EXTREMES, OIL, GASOLINE, OZONE, ABRASION, ACIDS, AND CHEMICALS.

I can find lots of cables that meet some of those requirements, but none that meet all. A search for "marina portable power cables" turns up portable cords with plugs - not portable cables.

And I can't find any manufacturers that state that list all that on one cable. And nobody seems to state their cables are suitable for "Marina Applications".
I was reading that yesterday too. I have a marine grade power cord assembly on my camper. I changed the factory cord to a twist lock, and converted it back to a 30TT with an adapter. Hard to read, but it looks like it’s rated at 60 degree, 600 volt. I also am looking for that style of cord for a floating boat dock. It does say for marine applications.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The supplier has suggested a tray cable type TC-ER which is listed as a MARINE/OFFSHORE power cable (its UL certified to IEEE 1580 - Marine
Shipboard Cable rated 600/1000V).

I'm not sure if that complies with NEC 555 or not. 555 talks about extra hard usage portable power cables. But it also says Chapter 3 wiring methods are allowed.

Todd0x1

I don't think TC-ER meets the definition of extra hard usage cord/cable. I think this is one of those instances where cable and cord get used interchangeably. If you want something that says cable and not cord, most type W says 'portable power cable' and meets all the other requirements.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I've found some type G cables that look like they come pretty close to meeting all the requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.