Portable spas again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

I need some help guys. I try not to get involved with pools or spas anymore and I know this has been discussed before so I'll keep it short.
A customer I have wants to buy an outside spa specifcally this one they say is portable http://www.aah-spas.com/ebydrpespa.html <-please take a look.

110 volt plugs into wall outlet etc,sucks up about 11.5 amps at 1.5 HP
1) Is this considered portable and do I need to meet the requirements of 680.42?
2) There is an existing concrete slab in this application do I need a bonding grid to it?
3) Is a dedicated circuit on a gfi single breaker all I need?
4) There will be a spa pad under the unit, does that change my bonding?
Thanks for any help.. with all the changed to spas and pools I'm not sure about this application.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Disclaimer: I don't do pools much, and I've never seen one of these. After everything I say, add a "consult your AHJ rather than listen to me" at the end. :)

Oakey said:
1) Is this considered portable and do I need to meet the requirements of 680.42?
I don't see any relief for a portable spa. It sounds like they are constructing a permanent setup for an appliance billed as a portable spa, but where the rubber meets the road it really sounds permanent. Consult...

2) There is an existing concrete slab in this application do I need a bonding grid to it?
Or build a wood deck, yes, IMO. Consult...

3) Is a dedicated circuit on a gfi single breaker all I need?
It looks like it.

4) There will be a spa pad under the unit, does that change my bonding?
Here's proof of my first statement: What's a spa pad?

The equipotential bonding is three feet wide to give people half a chance to raise up from their low saturated resistance. If the pad is literally under the spa, it's irrelevant.

Thanks for any help...

Well, that's all you got, was "any." :)

Bea

1)680 applies

2)concrete pad is existing no rebar exposed no need to bond

3)Dedicated circuit and GFCI protection required

4)spa is list and self contained no additonal bonding required

Oakey

This is actually my big question. If a pad is existing are we or are we not required to create a bonding grid in the pad. If so how? Seen it discussed before here but don't understand it clearly :confused:.

Oakey

Ok I'll make it easier of a question,.
1) If a spa is placed on dirt or rocks do I need a grid?
2) If it's placed on pavers with no mesh under it is it still required?
Answer this and I promise I'll be quiet :cool:

guschash

In 680.26(B)(1) Metallic Structural Components in that paragraph .....Where reinforcing steel of the pool shell or the reinforcing steel of coping stones and deck is encapsulated with a nonconductive compound or another conductive material is not avaiable,provisions shall be made for an alternative meansto eliminate voltage gradients....etc.. I think if there is concrete pad already there you don't have to bond the existing grid, MPO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.