Portable Track Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am trying to understand something here.

410.151(A) requires permanent connection of track lighting to a branch circuit. So does this exist?

The Author of My Book said:
134.jpg

Portable lighting tracks, per UL Standard 153 shall
? not be longer than 8 ft (2.4 m).
? have a cord not less than 5 ft (1.5 m) permanently attached to the track by the manufacturer.
? have overcurrent protection (fuse or circuit breaker) built into the plug cap. Overcurrent protection in the plug cap is not required if the conductors in the cord are 12 AWG, rated 20 amperes.
? not have its length altered in the field. To do so would void the UL listing.

I don't see how this exists, or why 410.151(A) has been in the code so many years if you can buy a "portable electric luminaire" that is a track light. :?

donaldelectrician

D.I.Y. Special . But you are limited to 8' trac section . No OCP in cord cap if #12 awg used . Its UL stamped ? Then it is a fixture with a 8' cord .

Don

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am trying to understand something here.

410.151(A) requires permanent connection of track lighting to a branch circuit. So does this exist?

I don't see how this exists, or why 410.151(A) has been in the code so many years if you can buy a "portable electric luminaire" that is a track light. :?
I don't know where you got the image but I noticed it says Delmar.

Delmar = yuck! I paid full price for two of their books. The best use I could find for them was fire starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.