Post car hoist in commercial garage

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I'm installing a circuit to feed a car lift in a commercial garage and the nameplate rating is single phase 208 volt at 17 amps. Since the motor is over 80% of a twenty amp breaker, I'm wondering if there is a section of the NEC that would still allow me to put the lift motor on a 20 amp breaker. It's just the one motor on the lift with no other electrical components. I skimmed through article 430 but didn't see anything that applies to my situation

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You may need to/be able to use a 30a breaker and use #12 cu wire.

Motors have high starting current, and a lift will likely be jogged often.

It sounds lie you want to avoid a larger breaker, or is it larger wire?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm installing a circuit to feed a car lift in a commercial garage and the nameplate rating is single phase 208 volt at 17 amps. Since the motor is over 80% of a twenty amp breaker, I'm wondering if there is a section of the NEC that would still allow me to put the lift motor on a 20 amp breaker. It's just the one motor on the lift with no other electrical components. I skimmed through article 430 but didn't see anything that applies to my situation
What does 80% of a 20A have to do with anything?

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Not allowed to exceed 80% of the breaker I know is for continuous duty, but I'd like to find the code article where is says something along the lines of I can go over the 16 amps for a motor load. Is that better?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Not allowed to exceed 80% of the breaker I know is for continuous duty, but I'd like to find the code article where is says something along the lines of I can go over the 16 amps for a motor load. Is that better?
Only rule for that is, like you said, continuous duty. There is a 80% rule for receptacles, but nothing for breakers with a hardwired circuit other than what was stated.
You won't find a rule that says you are allowed. Code is a permissive code unless it says it's not allowed. They couldn't possibly say "allowed" for everything that is allowed.

16A x 125% = 20A
So you aren't going over anyway.

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Only rule for that is, like you said, continuous duty. There is a 80% rule for receptacles, but nothing for breakers with a hardwired circuit other than what was stated.
You won't find a rule that says you are allowed. Code is a permissive code unless it says it's not allowed. They couldn't possibly say "allowed" for everything that is allowed.

16A x 125% = 20A
So you aren't going over anyway.
At the 17 amps on the nameplate it would be over 80% but I think I'm in the clear with no continuous duty load. Thank you for your help!