post light footings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jute

PLEASE HELP...I have an issue with a set of plans requiring 12" anchor bolts for a 7' post light in a multi-family application. I'm in So Cal and thought that if a post light (13W lantern on a 3"OD x 7' post)was under 7' in height then the footing did not need to be engineered and it could be installed like a fence post and did not require a cement footing? I dug a 3' deep hole aprox 18" in diameter and using cement but the engineer says it has to be pad mounted with 12" anchor bolts??? If anyone knows a building code or can help me out on this it would be greatly appreciated..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the engineer wants it then I don't see a way out. What does the manufacturer of the post require? I would be surprised if there is a building code on this.

jute

Thanks for the reply, this was a set of plans that was turned in to the city and accepted through planning, with corrections . The corrections required had to do with (4) 12' post but the 7' post were good to go. I couldn't get a hold of the engineer for weeks to try and get the corrections made. He ended up taking off with my money so I had to get a second engineer to make the corrections on the plans, the second engineer made the corrections needed on the 12' post but also changed the footings and the fixtures on the 7' post although it wasn't a required correction by the city? This is a huge cost that I will have to eat if I can't get it changed back to how it was accepted originally, any help is greatly appreciated...

tkb

If the engineer specified it, and you knew it when you bid the job, what is the problem with giving the customer what they are paying for?

Buck Parrish

Generally if we get in to an area like that with the inspectors. They will tell us you have to get an engineer to "sign off " on it. So if your second engineer changed it, then you need to bring that with you to the inspections office. And plead your case for approoval.
Perhaps some thing from the manufactors specs would be help full, too.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.