Power Billing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I encounter problems with my utility bill,raising questions on about the kilowatthour meter reading with a multiplier mark inside the meter which is 40. Meaning, whatever the meter reads multiply it by 40, am I right? But according to the utility owner it is not , because the CT being installed was 600:5, so they raised the multiplicand [/B]that makes my consumption higher as well as what I'm going to pay. Is this correct? Is there's anything can do with this oversized CT with my meter multiplier which is 40?
The existing service entrance wire anyway is #4/0 AWG with a current capacity of 200 amperes. The utility power supply to the building is 3-phase 230volts AC from line to line measurement, line to neutral line is 115VAC.
Need help thanks

I encounter problems with my utility bill,raising questions on about the kilowatthour meter reading with a multiplier mark inside the meter which is 40. Meaning, whatever the meter reads multiply it by 40, am I right? But according to the utility owner it is not , because the CT being installed was 600:5, so they raised the multiplicand [/B]that makes my consumption higher as well as what I'm going to pay. Is this correct? Is there's anything can do with this oversized CT with my meter multiplier which is 40?
The existing service entrance wire anyway is #4/0 AWG with a current capacity of 200 amperes. The utility power supply to the building is 3-phase 230volts AC from line to line measurement, line to neutral line is 115VAC.
Need help thanks

The utility company does not change you power consumption or revenue by changing the c.t.s/ratio. C.T.s just tranform the current down to a more meterable (think that is a new word for me) scale. You run 400 amps through a c.t. primary side and you get 5 amps on the secondary. By installing higher ratio c.t.s it will cut the secondary current down, won't have anything to do with the consumption or your bill. Hope this helps.

bob

I encounter problems with my utility bill,raising questions on about the kilowatthour meter reading with a multiplier mark inside the meter which is 40. Meaning, whatever the meter reads multiply it by 40, am I right? But according to the utility owner it is not , because the CT being installed was 600:5, so they raised the multiplicand that makes my consumption higher as well as what I'm going to pay. Is this correct? Is there's anything can do with this oversized CT with my meter multiplier which is 40?

If you have 600/5 CT's the multiplier should be 120. It does not matter what the t ratio is. The KWH's are the same and that is what you are being billed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It seems to me that the 40 means 40:1, which is equal to 200:5, and I believe that 5a at full service rating is the design goal.

I also believe that the CT ratio can affect the meter turns relative to the primary current, so having the correct CT's does matter.

We need a POCO guy's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.