Power consumption trends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a report or study regarding the power consumption trends in large commercial office buildings. My client is getting requests from tenants to provide more 120/208v power for lighting and receptacle loads. It seems to me that these loads should be trending down with all the energy saving programs in place today. At present we generally recommend 5 to 6 watts per square foot, my client is getting request for 6 to 8 watts per foot. Any ideas??

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Power consumption trends

I have an office that is perhaps 100 SF. I run my 1500W heater all the time in the winter cause the heat in the building does not reach my office.

I need 15W/SF just for heat.

bwyllie

Typically we recommend the following to clients: 3-5 w/sf for power, 2 for lighting(though energy code only allows 1.3) and 5 for HVAC.

ed downey

Depending Upon How Far Back You Are Going I Would Say That Although We Have More Energy Efficient Lighting We Have Added Quite A Few More Devices In A Typical Offices Environment (More Computers, More Faxes, More Printers, More Copiers, etc).

If You Want To Do A Little Searching You Can Probably Find What You Are Looking For Regarding Consumption On This Site: Dept. of Energy

This Is From 1995 But There Are Others On This Site.

-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.