Power Distribution Block

JZE14

I am installing a 1000A 460V service, but I am having trouble finding a power distribution block that will work with the wires I need. The utility company is supplying this service with 3-350 MCM wires. I need to supply an existing 600A main and will be adding a 400A disconnect. I can't seem to find a power distribution block that is big enough for this. Any help would be appreciated.

I am installing a 1000A 460V service, but I am having trouble finding a power distribution block that will work with the wires I need. The utility company is supplying this service with 3-350 MCM wires. I need to supply an existing 600A main and will be adding a 400A disconnect. I can't seem to find a power distribution block that is big enough for this. Any help would be appreciated.
Clearly you asked about power distribution blocks, but just to throw out some other options, a bussed gutter or Polaris connectors may be an option:

JZE14

I did try the Polaris tap, but the power company wouldn't allow them because they weren't mountable. I did find some online that said they were mountable, but the utility would not allow them either.
I will look into the bussed gutter. Thanks to both of you!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Something like this?
We have used these to connect in a CT cabinet along with Polaris connectors mentioned

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I bet the poco is terminating their own wires, is the reason they want the blocks. They don’t want to be blamed if something goes wrong with your load wires because they moved them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is what I was looking for! I wasn't able to find anything to accommodate for all of the big wires. Thank you!!
I don't see anything that indicates these comply with the requirement in 230.46 that applies starting with the 2020 code.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You wouldn’t be able to find a PDB that has an SCCR high enough for whatever the AFC will be for a 480V 1,000A service. Maybe if it had a series rating downstream of current limiting fuses, but that means using it AFTER the main disconnect.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just like the CMP, make a requirement before there is a product to meet the requirement. Or was this put in by the Union? Since it isn’t made yet, it wasn’t a manufacturer. They love to put in things that make you buy their products!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just like the CMP, make a requirement before there is a product to meet the requirement. Or was this put in by the Union? Since it isn’t made yet, it wasn’t a manufacturer. They love to put in things that make you buy their products!
There were at least two brands that had products listed before the 1/1/2023 effective date of the rule.

You wouldn’t be able to find a PDB that has an SCCR high enough for whatever the AFC will be for a 480V 1,000A service. Maybe if it had a series rating downstream of current limiting fuses, but that means using it AFTER the main disconnect.
Never thought of that (I actually don't think I've ever used or installed a PDB). What is their sccr typically?