Power Distribution Blocks/Taps

J2H

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer/Licensed Electrician
A recent off-air event resulted in the discovery of overheated line side conductors at a 60 amp transmitter disconnect, presumably due to insufficient torque.

Under investigation, I found that the#4 feed to the disconnect comes from a power distribution block, where it is double-tapped with a 3/0 1 per phase.

The other side of the distribution block is a 250 run as parallel conductors from an ATS.

One set of 250s feeds the the aforementioned disconnect, the other feeds a 200 amp disconnect with 3/0 fed through another set of blocks.

Would it be compliant to come off the first set of blocks with a set of 250s and tap to the panel and 60 amp disconnect with a Polaris tap for example?

Other possible solutions would be to replace the blocks with blocks that accommodate more wires, but it looks blocks to accommodate these sizes on the load side are limited.

The other option, which I don’t really think is a great one would be to replace the disconnect with a breaker, but that is probably the simplest and lowest cost.

Attachments

• 9CD5FA30-DFBB-44DF-96DC-35E025D9992A.jpeg
    9CD5FA30-DFBB-44DF-96DC-35E025D9992A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A recent off-air event resulted in the discovery of overheated line side conductors at a 60 amp transmitter disconnect, presumably due to insufficient torque.
Excessive torque is maybe worse. It needs to be torqued to the manufacturers instructions.

Under investigation, I found that the#4 feed to the disconnect comes from a power distribution block, where it is double-tapped with a 3/0 1 per phase.
I don't know what you mean by double tapped. if you mean there is a hole with a #4 and 3/0 in the same hole, it is probably not code.

The other side of the distribution block is a 250 run as parallel conductors from an ATS.

One set of 250s feeds the the aforementioned disconnect, the other feeds a 200 amp disconnect with 3/0 fed through another set of blocks.

Would it be compliant to come off the first set of blocks with a set of 250s and tap to the panel and 60 amp disconnect with a Polaris tap for example?

Other possible solutions would be to replace the blocks with blocks that accommodate more wires, but it looks blocks to accommodate these sizes on the load side are limited.

The other option, which I don’t really think is a great one would be to replace the disconnect with a breaker, but that is probably the simplest and lowest cost.
maybe a sketch is in order. its hard to follow what it is you are trying to tell us.

J2H

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer/Licensed Electrician
Excessive torque is maybe worse. It needs to be torqued to the manufacturers instructions.

I don't know what you mean by double tapped. if you mean there is a hole with a #4 and 3/0 in the same hole, it is probably not code.

maybe a sketch is in order. its hard to follow what it is you are trying to tell us.
Yes, there is a 3/0 and #4 in the same hole.

I can post a sketch, but here is a photo of the distribution blocks.

Right side is feed from an ATS with 2 250s per phase.

The upper blocks on the left feed a 200 amp disconnect with 3/0.

The lower blocks feed a 60 amp disconnect and 200 amp load center.

Attachments

• 639370AA-9C62-416B-B352-B15CF992F374.jpeg
    639370AA-9C62-416B-B352-B15CF992F374.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 2