Power Distribution Panel Grounding/Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a code question that I've been struggling with for the last few weeks. We are designing a skid package that is supposed to be a complete boiler room. Part of the requirement was to provide a single power drop for easy connection in the field.

We designed a power distribution system to provide 460 3 phase and 240/120 single phase. Originally we were going to use a Square D 10KVA dry type transformer for the single phase side. However, it could only be purchased in 3R and we needed everything NEMA 4. So we decided to stick it inside a panel from our UL508A panel shop.
I am a little worried & confused now on how this grounding system is supposed to be connected. I was previously referencing NEC 250.20-30. Which deal with separately derived systems and how to properly ground a power transformer with SBJ, EGC, GEC etc.

However, the unit came wired from the panel shop with the incoming EGC connected to panel chassis and the transformer neutral/120vac bonded back as well. With no reference to a connection for a GEC. I am wondering if, since this is a UL panel, the NEC code even applies to this situation. Do I need to isolate my transformer neutral from the enclosure chassis and provide a GEC/Earth Gnd?

I've shared the preliminary drawings for this panel. Please provide any feedback. I have typically been a control systems engineer so this is stepping beyond the bounds of my familiarity.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Do I need to isolate my transformer neutral from the enclosure chassis and provide a GEC/Earth Gnd? ...
Primary EGC connects to chassis/enclosure.
GEC* bonds grounding electrode to neutral.
SBJ* bonds neutral to chassis/enclosure.
(Secondary) SSBJ bonds first disconnecting means to chassis/enclosure.

*GEC can bond to chassis/enclosure if SBJ is a wire or busbar [250.30(A)(5) Exception No. 1]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
UL 508a requires a field terminal for the GEC. It can be part of the ground bus though. It does not appear it has to have any special marking.

The bonding jumper should be included in the panel as shipped.

My guess is the majority of times in the field no one ever bothers to bring in the GEC even when it is required.

In this diagram stolen from UL508a, 24 is the bonding jumper, 25 is the field terminal for the GEC, and 26 is the GEC.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Incidentally, this is basically the same arrangement that is used in an MCC when a power transformer is included.

The bonding jumper is run from the xfmr secondary to the ground bus.

A GEC connection is supposed to be made to the ground bus in the field. I suspect most times it does not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.