Power Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

merriar

If I have a poor power factor on the primary side of a transformer, will the poor power factor be reflected on the secondary side?

Richard

Besoeker

merriar said:
If I have a poor power factor on the primary side of a transformer, will the poor power factor be reflected on the secondary side?

Richard
No.
The secondary side power factor depends on the secondary side loads.

fjrivera

I agree with Besoeker. Power factor will depend on the loads connected to the secondary. So, you can visualize that the load power factor affect upstream where the load is connected in the system and not downstream.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
The inductance of the XFMR will correct that on the secondary but the Xfmr may run hotter/ warmer if the PF is too bad.

rattus

merriar said:

Richard

It is the other way around. In an ideal transformer, the PF seen on the secondary will be seen on the primary as well because the secondary load is reflected back to the primary. Therefore, the lag seen in the primary will be the same as seen in the secondary.

rattus said:
It is the other way around. In an ideal transformer, the PF seen on the secondary will be seen on the primary as well because the secondary load is reflected back to the primary. Therefore, the lag seen in the primary will be the same as seen in the secondary.

Plus the additional inductance from the transformer itself.

gar

Occupation
EE
080923-1926 EST

I agree with rattus. But is you have a bad PF load on the secondary, then the transformer leakage inductance may not be significant. Relatively efficient transformers do a good job of reflecting the secondary load to the primary. Would not be so of a Sola constant voltage transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.