Power inlet box location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering installing a power inlet box for a portable generator on the back of a house because it’s the best location I can find. I am aware of the obvious concerns of CO and fire but are there any specific clearances or code requirements for a 30A power inlet box on a residential home?

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
The generator itself should have their own regulations about how far from a house ect. The power inlet will come with specifications about how high off the ground you should have the inlet. I believe it’s 2’ but they are all different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Decide where you going to run the generator during a power outage and install it there. As Sparky mentioned follow an instructions on the mounting of the inlet from the inlet manufacturer. When I installed mine the intent was to run the generator in the shed with the door open. That made the inlet on the extreme opposite side of the house and the farthest possible point from the panel. :slaphead:

Power inlet box

Power inlet box

Thanks guys, that’s what I thought too. The manufacturer has no specific requirements for locations or clearances. I just wanted to make sure I’m not overlooking anything that the code would require. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.