Power Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm

Sparky555 said:
Now I think I have it. With a spare battery in the cargo area, the larger wire is going from the spare battery to the inverter with very short wires. Thanks.

You got it Sparky..don't forget to open that 30A breaker when using the inverter or you may end up walking home:D

Sparky555

ohm said:
You got it Sparky..don't forget to open that 30A breaker when using the inverter or you may end up walking home:D

Thanks. I have a new 750 Cold Cranking Amps, 135 Reserve Capacity battery in the shop. What can I expect to run on this w/o running the engine to recharge the battery?

growler

ohm said:

If you are not going to use any heavy loads on the inverter why not just hook the batteries to a charger at night.

There was forum member two or three years ago that was planning on mounting several marine grade batteries in the back of his van to use for site power ( new residential contruction). I thought of this idea and wouldn't want to haul around that many batteries, to much weight but just a couple of marine grade batteries would supply power for light and to charge drill batteries easy enough. It shouldn't be hard at all to hook up a battery charger for an over night charge and a lot cheaper than an over sized alternator. May be cheaper in cost to charge batteries also ( electrical power is still much cheaper than gas ).

ohm

Sparky555 said:
Thanks. I have a new 750 Cold Cranking Amps, 135 Reserve Capacity battery in the shop. What can I expect to run on this w/o running the engine to recharge the battery?

I have two batteries like yours and can drill holes & charge batteries all day long. At night I hook up shop power to charge them & the 2 truck batteres. An added bonus is that on a cold morning my 7.3 L diesel starts a lot easier because the batteries are all warm and on the 25A / 75A charger. Once started I unhook from shop power and I'm good all day.:grin:

dereckbc

Staff member
ohm said:
Yea, the last time I checked, MSW inverters don't work on Milwakee chargers. I use B & D portables which work fine.
Will not hurt the batteries one bit. It is the charger that may throw a fit. Likewise motors do not play well with MSW inverters. Catch is True Sine Wave Inverters cost 2 to 3 times as much.

ohm

dereckbc said:
Will not hurt the batteries one bit. It is the charger that may throw a fit. Likewise motors do not play well with MSW inverters. Catch is True Sine Wave Inverters cost 2 to 3 times as much.

Very true deeckbc, popped one Milwakee charger trying. Batteries were fine. Never had a problem with drills etc. they probably think tey're hooked to a VSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.