Power Logger Tool Recommendations

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
Hey guys,

We have an old power logger (Fluke 1735 Three Phase Power Logger) that we have had for a long time (decade or more?). We are looking to replace that with something smaller that is easier to leave on a site to collect usage history. The one we have is pretty big and doesn't fit inside a panel so you have to run the cords outside the panel and leave it that way for the length of time you want to record.

I have seen the newer model flukes but they are really expensive, like 8 grand or more. Has anyone found a cool power logging tool that is less expensive than they would recommend? Extech has a few on Amazon, are they any good? Really, what I am looking for is anything that can log power usage to find the peak demand over a period of time, at least 30 days, to use when doing calculations for new loads. We can usually get this data from local utilities, but not for residential meters as they don't track max demand KW for residential meters for some reason.

What about a smart home style power monitor? has anyone used those to do this before? (those are on amazon for a few hundred bucks)

BillyMac59

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Do a "Google" search for some name-brand loggers. Find something that looks like it will work and then find a local distributor. They may let you borrow one to try before committing to a purchase.

A very affordable option would be EKM meters. It would not be super user friendly as they are intended to be used as sub meters and don't have storage, need an internet connection, but you could probably get a complete setup for around $400 and I'm pretty sure they are revenue grade accuracy. I know one of their meters does demand cuz I looked into it and talked to them about it a while back. I've been meaning to get one of their setups going but haven't yet.

Todd0x1

check out the acvuvim meters. accuvim iir+web2 module should set you back around $800. Thats energy metering. If you want PQ andcwaveform capture accuvim iiw is 300-400 more.

SparkyAdam

Occupation
I found a device that might work for this through a smart home forum. It is tiny and mounts to din rail. does up to three phase (240V) and up to 400-amps. Only $230

SparkyAdam

Occupation
It’s an Amazon item it will probably blow up
These days everything is sold on Amazon. Leviton is sold on Amazon. Amazon does not manufacture Leviton devices, nor do they manufacture these.

Not saying it won't blow up. I haven't used one before. I am hopeful, but only time will tell if it was a good purchase. However, to assert that it will solely based on where it was purchased is idiocy. On top of that, I bought it from the manufacturer's website not amazon.

Todd0x1

I found a device that might work for this through a smart home forum. It is tiny and mounts to din rail. does up to three phase (240V) and up to 400-amps. Only $230

not listed which is a big nope, and specs mention a 1 min sample interval. Also dont think it mas min/max or any other event capture. I stand by the accuvim iiw

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
These days everything is sold on Amazon. Leviton is sold on Amazon. Amazon does not manufacture Leviton devices, nor do they manufacture these.

Not saying it won't blow up. I haven't used one before. I am hopeful, but only time will tell if it was a good purchase. However, to assert that it will solely based on where it was purchased is idiocy. On top of that, I bought it from the manufacturer's website not amazon.
To not come to terms that Amazon is known to sell black market crap is idiocy, of course they have good company but there a lot of crap company’s, you sift through them.
My supplier only has good products I don’t have to sift through, that’s professional to give clients good products that the company will stand behind warranty.
One of my supplier is starting to go down the cheap poopy baby diaper way, and I am axing them.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's be more accurate here- it's unlikely that Amazon sells black market stuff but possible that others do over the Amazon marketplace (look at who the seller is). I buy Fluke, Knipex, Leviton, etc via Amazon although Amazon usually isn't the seller. I also get low-end stuff on the same market.

Not everything in the grocery store chains is top-quality, why should Amazon/Zoro/HD/etc be any different?

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
I did some power quality analysis for a customer who collected the data using a PCE-PA 8000. I thing it cost about $2500, has internal storage. Not a name brand, but it worked fine.

darekelec

I tried Shelly pro with 400 amp clamps.
It did not work for me thru Bluetooth or WiFi. I had hopes for power logging and load management but a no go .
It is returnable on Amazon.