power split to 2 breakers panels

MIcAngelo

Occupation
Audio engineer
Ok I have got opinions from 3 different electricians and each are saying different things. Here is my situation

My utility service meter is outside my building , just 2 feet inside my building the electric is split inside a metal enclosure, were all 4 wires coming into the building are split to 2 each. So now there are 8 wires total. ( I have a delta system 120/120/208 + neutral .)

4 wires run to a mains 200 amp breaker panel right above the metal enclosure were the wires are split, and the other 4 wires go to another large 200A disconnect 1 foot to the right of the metal enclosure . The neutral bond to case is only in the large disconnect, were the water pipe wire is also connected. that large disconnect feeds another sub breaker panel.

There is no neutral bond to case in the mains panel above the metal enclosure .. Is this right? OR should the neutral bond and water pipe be were the neutral is split in the metal enclosure?

MIcAngelo

Occupation
Audio engineer
One is saying that it’s fine no need to change. The other one is saying the bond needs to be in the split off and the other Electrician wants to redo everything and put one main panel in.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
All service disconnects should have a main bonding jumper.
The grounding electrode system can be connected ahead of the service disconnects or to each and every every service disconnected.

MIcAngelo

Occupation
Audio engineer
Not quite clear on your reply . So each panel from the Y should have the neutral bonded to its case ? I was told when the neutral gets bonded to the case thats were the water pipe wire should go also? is this not correct? But if there are 2 panels with 2 bonds, which panel gets the water pipe? thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not quite clear on your reply . So each panel from the Y should have the neutral bonded to its case ?
YES.. Each & every SERVICE disconnect (not necessarily "each panel")
I was told when the neutral gets bonded to the case thats were the water pipe wire should go also? is this not correct? But if there are 2 panels with 2 bonds, which panel gets the water pipe? thanks
There are options as to where the grounding electrodes can connect. You need to discuss those with your contractor/electrician