Power staplers for NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul B

How many of you guys use a powerfast stapler for NM? I can see where it might have a benefit but I can also see it being rather expensive to use. I can see where it might be faster but I can see folks putting staples much closer then needed just because of the convenience. Kind of like using a slap stapler for insulation verses a one shot.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bought one and gave it to a crew to use. Within a week it was at the bottom of a box of job debris and, when I asked about it, I was told it was a piece of junk and slowed things down.

mtnelectrical

I have one and I found it somehow useful especially when you are securing romex to finish surfaces, like when a drop ceiling is being mounted and we could secure this romx to the finish wall or ceiling up there with these you dont have to look for studs to secure cable. and things like that

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mtnelectrical said:
I have one and I found it somehow useful especially when you are securing romex to finish surfaces, like when a drop ceiling is being mounted and we could secure this romx to the finish wall or ceiling up there with these you dont have to look for studs to secure cable. and things like that
I'd be interested in knowing whether the NM is still in place.

mdshunk

I bought one, and had high hopes for it. I used it on a couple of new work jobs, and was unimpressed. I still own it, but I can't tell you where it might be at the moment. It is very nice for stapeling NM that runs horizontal with TJI's, as it is very hard to hammer drive a regular staple in the web of a TJI.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
One guy I worked with was tickled pink with it, but I couldn't fathom having to buy special staples and still have regular staples on hand for tight spots and whatnot. And the other thing is, you can adjust for hard or soft wood the old-fashioned way, I don't see how a staplegun could adjust as well as a guy with a hammer.

Cue up "The Legend Of John Henry's Hammer" by Johnny Cash... :D

Edit to add, the guy did always walk through twice when it came time to staple. Once with the gun, and once for the stuff that he didn't get the first time. Not too efficient in my book, but it takes all kinds. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
. . . it is very hard to hammer drive a regular staple in the web of a TJI.
I gave that up long ago. I staple either to the bottom of the top 2x or to the top of the bottom 2x.

Status
Not open for further replies.