Power strips in Hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebea

Are power strips ( no surge protection ) allowed in hospitals? This is not in any kind of patient care area but in phone, communication, IT rooms and office areas. I am being told by the new facilities manager the strips gotta go.... relocatable power taps are no longer allowed in a hospital setting. I aasume this is a life safety code issue but I find it hard to believe they can not be used in non patient care areas.:confused: I'm not complaining because it's more work for me.... just wondering.

raider1

Staff member
According to the UL Whitebook Relocatable power taps (plug strips) have not been investigated and are not intended for use in general patient care areas or critical patient care areas of health care facilities.

Check out Relocatable power taps (XBYS) in the UL Whitebook.

Chris

stevebea

PA Dept. of Health

PA Dept. of Health

Found out today that it is the AHJ, that being the PA Dept of Health. This is their stand " Multi-strip devices or extension cords are absolutely not permitted for use in any health care facility. It is apperant that when they are being used, it is because there is a need for more receptcale outlets at that location. When adding receptcales, hospital grade boxes should be used. They can be readily identified by the green dot found on the receptcale box and should be labeled hospital grade. "

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Found out today that it is the AHJ, that being the PA Dept of Health. This is their stand " Multi-strip devices or extension cords are absolutely not permitted for use in any health care facility. It is apperant that when they are being used, it is because there is a need for more receptcale outlets at that location. When adding receptcales, hospital grade boxes should be used. They can be readily identified by the green dot found on the receptcale box and should be labeled hospital grade. "

I think you mean hospital grade receptacles, not boxes.

Unless PA has an amendment, hospital grade receptacles are only required at patient bed locations.

Steve

stevebea

I think you mean hospital grade receptacles, not boxes.

Unless PA has an amendment, hospital grade receptacles are only required at patient bed locations.

Steve

That was the quote from the DOH message boards word for word, but yes I believe they meant to say hospital grade receptcales not boxes. As far as I know the DOH does not require hospital grade receptcales anywhere other than patient care locations but their verbage confuses me regarding that message.

Status
Not open for further replies.