Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
120118-1352 EST

I have added a new page to my web site beta-a2 which is the following:
http://beta-a2.com/Energy-book-2.html

This is to provide an outline of the contents of my book "Electrical Energy Measurement, Conservation, and Methods to Reduce Your Electric Bill". Included on this web page are some graphs that may be of interest to some of you.

The curves are each for a 24 hour period. All curves show line voltage and total load power to my house.

The first plot is for one single day with resolution to 1 second where needed. Thus, it has spikes from the 1 second average power of motors starting up.

The second plot is identical to the first, but has a dot for the average power over the last hour.

The third plot is like the second plot, and includes the second plot's data, but it is a composite of all the days in one month superimposed on each other. Notice the very large variability from day to day.

The fourth plot is an average of all the data at each hour of the third plot. So this plot looks like plot 2, but is more level thru the day.

Actually the plots are duplicated. The first set is with captions, and the second set is identical but without captions to make comparison of one plot with another easier.

If you print out this web page to make comparison of the plots easier, then you may need to use Internet Explorer.

All of this data was accumulated with a TED 1000 system. Then I post-processed the data to achieve the individual plots.

bob

Have you made any changes in your usage and did you graph the results.
Did you make comparisons. What changes did you make if any?

gar

Occupation
EE
120118-1542 EST

bob:

I have on occasion made an effort to keep certain things off that I don't really need, but are an inconvenience to have off. With a major effort along this line I can get a 25% reduction from 40 kWh per day.

I could further reduce my base load with new equipment or a change in equipment. For some of this can I really get the same performance. For example: freezers to operate in an ambient of 10 to 15 F at some times of the year.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

gar

I want to add one suggestion.

You mentioned in your book only about peak power.But peak power is not always equal to maximum demand.From maximum demand aspect,wherever applicable,more energy saving may be realized.

Last edited:

gar

Occupation
EE
120119-1020 EST

Speedskater:

That may be a good suggestion.

Web pages and how to draw attention to a particular page with a few search words that are likely to be used is a substantial problem, coupled with the problem that many searchers won't go very far into the results provided by Google.

Relative to my main page if I put the search words
RS232 problems CNC
I currently come in 5th under Google. This is quite good.

I can not expect to do anything like that in the area of energy. I have to use too many uniquely selected words that the average searcher would have no idea of using. Thus, the purpose of the page has to be more to provide a reference to which someone can be directed. Being more complete with a complete table of contents seems like it would be useful.

One reason I put the selected plots on the page was too provide a little more body to the page.

On searching if I use the words
electrical energy measurement conservation book
then I end up 3rd or 4th in the Google results this morning.

Change the search string to
electrical energy measurement book
and I am about 60th.

Then change to
electrical energy conservation book
and I am below 100th.

Adding TED to the search strings may help my position, but Kill-A-Watt may be a negative.

Adding the table of contents to my page would add more use of the words TED and Kill-A-Watt. Might or might not improve Google position. Sometimes too much usage of a word is a negative.

gar

Occupation
EE
120119-1106 EST

T.M.:

The book is directed at US residential customers with little knowledge of electricity, and that are playing with devices like TED and Kill-A-Watt. There is no demand factor on residential customers.

G0049

What motors?

What motors?

Gar,
On your web site you mention "motors" starting and you also mention a higher than average base load because of unusual equipment in your house. Are the motors you mention typical household equipment such as a refrigerator, freezer, water pump or sump pump; or are they more unusual items?

I must admit that, after reading your posts for several years, I have this mental picture of your house that resembles a movie set for a science fiction thriller. A huge Van de Graaff generator as the dining room table center piece or some such. ;););)

And thanks for sharing all that you do on the forum.

gar

Occupation
EE
120120-1012 EST

sameguy:

That is a real neat trick to get #1 position. Now how do you get people to choose those words?

G0049:

Yes, virtually all the spikes are refrigerator, freezer, and furnace blower. Once in a while the air compressor is one.

For a more detailed look at the starting power see http://beta-a2.com/EE-photos.html photos P27, 29, and 30.

P27 has both refrigeration and furnace blower motors. P29 and 30 are freezer only. The real initial power peak is larger and shorter. The TED output is a 1 second average.

Relative to your PM on missing city. It sure is missing and I don't know why it was lost. It is Ann Arbor, and does show on other pages of my web site. It was not intentionally hidden. It seems today that a lot of companies want to hide their actual location. Then also there are individuals that want to hide. I have some unlisted phone numbers, but I still have my personal number in the local phone book. However, I am thinking an intercept device may become necessary because of the many political and other soliciting calls that occur that are allowed under the do not call list system. But do not call has certainly reduced the number of calls. Unfortunately if you have had some contact with an organization, then they can still legally call you.

gar

Occupation
EE
120129-1526 EST

G0049:

My night load is 1 refrigerator, 2 large freezers, furnace blower, various computers and associated instrumentation, and miscellaneous other items. 1 kW is a reasonable average.

I do not have electric hot water, or heating.

For many users in my part of the country their total electrical usage possibly will be 1/2 of mine or a little lower.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
120119-1106 EST

T.M.:

There is no demand factor on residential customers.

In general I agree, but odd as it seems, my local municipal owned utility offers a demand rate for residential customers upon request. I'm on it and it works for me as I am in the industry and understand it. The average home owner would not typically understand it so it's not very popular. Unfortunately for me it is being discontinued as of Feb 1st in faver of new non optional tiered rates-which is a whole new ball game.

gar

Occupation
EE
120120-1952EST

texie:

That is interesting. Can you explain what your rate structure was and how you took advantage of it.

I seldom exceed about 4 kW.

In our area, Detroit Edison, we have about 11 different residential rate plans. Some are alternate and some are parallel. An example of a parallel plan is interruptible water heating on a separate meter.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
120120-1952EST

texie:

That is interesting. Can you explain what your rate structure was and how you took advantage of it.

I seldom exceed about 4 kW.

In our area, Detroit Edison, we have about 11 different residential rate plans. Some are alternate and some are parallel. An example of a parallel plan is interruptible water heating on a separate meter.

$4.40 per KW of demand (15 minute demand period)
$.0387 per KWH

I limit my demand a little through an integrated whole house control system.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

In general I agree, but odd as it seems, my local municipal owned utility offers a demand rate for residential customers upon request. I'm on it and it works for me as I am in the industry and understand it. The average home owner would not typically understand it so it's not very popular. Unfortunately for me it is being discontinued as of Feb 1st in faver of new non optional tiered rates-which is a whole new ball game.

I think still in some parts of the country,the demand rate tariff is continued.See

http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/lpc/res/residential_rates.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.