Powerflex 525 makes a chirping sound then F005

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
My plant has a 30 hp 3phase 480v, motor direct coupled to a grinder. Immediately, on a start command the vfd makes a loud electronic chirping/shreik sound then faults on F005 overvoltage. There is no movement of the motor.

Voltage is stable at 277/480 on all legs.

I am pretty confident the drive has gone bad. The load does not move so decel regen could not be the problem.

What could cause that electronic noise?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you are probably right but you might want to contact Allen Bradley tech support and ask them. Their drives tend to have weird quirks and they may have run across this in the past and can give you better information.

One possibility is that the incoming voltage might be on the high side. Have you measured the incoming voltage? If it is a little high I think there is a parameter you can set that will accommodate a slightly higher voltage than normal.

It might also be mechanical in nature but if it's been working and not moving and this just started it seems unlikely, but you never know.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
One thing you could try is to uncouple the motor from whatever it is driving and go through the tuning procedure after defaulting the drive to the factory settings. This is particularly helpful if for some reason you decided to use the sensorless vector mode which seems to have the worst number of quirks.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
voltage is normal. 277, 282, 276 476, 481, 478 L1,L2,L3. No line reactor. I am going megger the motor. then decouple the load and give it a try after doing an auto tune.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
ended up not needing a megger. 1 ohms between L1 -Ground, L2-Ground and L3-Ground.

Instead of replacing a 25 pound drive. I will be swapping out a 400 lb motor. I think Danny Glover said it best "I am getting too old for this stuff"

I wonder why the drive was giving an overvoltage fault instead of a Ground fault.

Last edited: