Powerworx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Has anyone seen this product. I got an email from someone trying to sell this product.

PowerWoRx e3

47b8db10b3127ccec46b97ec41ec00000045100UaNmbRs1Yg9vPhY

Buck Parrish

It's some sort of white collar scam.
We talked about something similar on this forum a few weeks ago.
I'll see if I can find the thread.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Buck said:
It's some sort of white collar scam.
We talked about something similar on this forum a few weeks ago.
I'll see if I can find the thread.

I should have searched before I posted. I found the thread. Thanks

gar

Occupation
EE
080531-2146 EST

Dennis:

The choice of words and how they are used makes it look like a scam.

That little box is not storing much energy. Power factor is much more important to the utility than to the end user. It only relates to some additional lost power in the wiring after the meter. In the winter this helps heat the house. An average voltage drop within a house might be 2 V @ 10 A for 10 hours per day (this is a wild selection of some numbers to allow an energy calculation). That is 200 watt hours or 0.2 KWH or $0.11*0.2 = $0.022per day. Not all of this would be from reactive current. My 10 A came from 1 KWH average per day 10 * 120 is 1200 W. So maybe I should use 20 A instead of 10. Still it is only 4 times the small cost calculated.

However, what is a waste is over driving magnetic cores. Transformers and motors. By reducing the operating voltage this magnetizing current can be reduced and motor or transformer temperature rise reduced. As I mentioned before this concept is cover by a NASA patent of quite a few years ago.

Buck Parrish

Their was an other thread on one of these that was not a powerworx model.
It was a different brand. But no body liked it.
I imagine we will see lot's more of this type of device that are advertised to save energy.
Somebody said they seen it advertised on tv.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A watt-hour meter really responds to volts and amps, but reads out in watts (over time). As a load PF decreases, the meter slows, so the POCO can't charge you for all of the power it has to deliever for the load to perform, unless they surcharge.

(Note: PF can also be measured for accurate "penalization" or for applying cost-effective correction.)

When some people hear that a capacitor 'releases energy back into the line', they're forgetting that the cap has to be charged between discharges. The effect provided by PF correction is a very local one, other than spinning the meter.

The 'other brand' is being advertised around here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.