PE (Retired) - Power Systems
steveng said:
Gar, asking advice on purchasing ppe.
we work in elec/hvac maintenance, mostly 120-208volts 1-3 ph, 480v mcc,
we also have mv switchgear,

the mv is contracted out,

do we need cat4 ppe?

Maybe, maybe not.

You need the PPE for the location where you are working. You either need to have calculations performed to tell you the available incident energy or you need to consult the task tables for the type of work you are performing (taking into account the available fault current and device clearing time).

Confusing sounding isn't it? You need to be trained in electrical safety including "arc flash" prior to being able to call yourself qualified. The training will help you decide what PPE you will need. You also need to create your own Electrical Safe Work Practices program.

steveng

great answer

great answer

jim dungar said:
Maybe, maybe not.

You need the PPE for the location where you are working. You either need to have calculations performed to tell you the available incident energy or you need to consult the task tables for the type of work you are performing (taking into account the available fault current and device clearing time).

Confusing sounding isn't it? The training will help you decide what PPE you will need. You also need to create your own Electrical Safe Work Practices program.

Now, that is a great answer, just send em over and we'll get started;)
thanks jim, this stuff is cornfusing, i am ordering the videos from nfpa, and some other helpful training manuals.

You need to be trained in electrical safety including "arc flash" prior to being able to call yourself qualified.

yep! i agree,
thanks

zog

I fyou are working on 480V switchgear you can almost be sure you will need HRC4 PPE, and that might not even be enough.

Go take a 70E class at Shermco, they are in Texas and offer some of the best classes around, the instructor is actually on the 70E commitee.

steveng

zog said:
I fyou are working on 480V switchgear you can almost be sure you will need HRC4 PPE, and that might not even be enough.

Go take a 70E class at Shermco, they are in Texas and offer some of the best classes around, the instructor is actually on the 70E commitee.

good advice, thanks!;)

sparks0304

i also subscribe to the nfpa, in the nfpa 70-e manual standards for electrical safety in the work place, article 130-1 thru 130-7, gives you the ratings that you will need, of course you will still needto do some caculations for distance, and voltage.
hope that gives you what you need

steveng

sparks0304 said:
i also subscribe to the nfpa, in the nfpa 70-e manual standards for electrical safety in the work place, article 130-1 thru 130-7, gives you the ratings that you will need, of course you will still needto do some caculations for distance, and voltage.
hope that gives you what you need

thanks sparks, for the article;)

Status
Not open for further replies.