PQ and lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Have I lost what little edge I may have had in my somewhat limited knowledge of electricity,

or are garage door outlets, JB/LBs and fluorescent's now major PQ issues? Because I am almost sure lightning was not involved?

mdshunk

I often wonder why certain threads are in certain forum areas, but I read them all anyhow. I don't pay too much attention to the particular forum area that they are in. I'm sure it does confuse or frustrate guys who only are interested in reading on certain topics.

brian john

I am not trying to be a pin head about this, and sometimes a location for a post may be questionable, but grounding and PQ lightning seem pretty cut and dry to me.

jdsmith

It seems that a lot of the posters in PQ & LightNing drop the N so we get fluorescent questions and so on. I haven't figured out why the garage door opener showed up, seems like a NEC topic to me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One could also argue why this thread is in lightning and power quality. It really isn't about those topics but where else would you put it.

I agree many people read lighning as lighting.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is one reason that I liked the old (very old) forum where there was only a single area. I also don't pay any attention to the forum sections. I just click on new posts and read the ones that I want to without ever looking at the section heading.
Don

mdshunk

I suppose having separate forum areas makes it clear what topics are and are not expected/permitted. Such antics like "microwave in your truck" don't really have a good forum area, and therefore probably aren't a good fit on this site. :cool:

brian john

I always read section headers and in order of interest to me. PQ Lightning 1st, Grounding 2nd, Then from the top down. Hardly ever read low voltage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
I often wonder why certain threads are in certain forum areas, but I read them all anyhow. I don't pay too much attention to the particular forum area that they are in. I'm sure it does confuse or frustrate guys who only are interested in reading on certain topics.

I definitely agree that there are many questions that don't fit the site and probably shouldn't even be allowed but who cares. The ones that ask about how much I charge or want me to bid their job I just ignore. They don't belong but if others don't mind chiming in then what's the harm.

Heck we had a whole thread on optical illusions. Never mind the countless other threads that get way off topic.

Don't get me wrong I am as guilty as anyone here.

brian john

Dennis I can side track a post as quick as anyone. My question goes to the posters understanding of the topic he wishes to discuss. It is not a big deal, just something I find strange....

Status
Not open for further replies.