Prep Ahead

Merry Christmas

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I replace a fair number of switches at our plant & usually have a narrow window when a line stops for 30 minute meal breaks.
I keep a few 1 gang & 2 gang RS covers made up with switches. I get to the line a few minutes ahead of their break & kill power as the last person leaves. I pull the switches, cut loose & splice my new switches in. A 2 gang gets 2 new switches, no matter if 1or both were bad. Much faster to swap whole unit than piece by piece. Clean up old cover & set up for next time.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I replace a fair number of switches at our plant & usually have a narrow window when a line stops for 30 minute meal breaks.
I keep a few 1 gang & 2 gang RS covers made up with switches. I get to the line a few minutes ahead of their break & kill power as the last person leaves. I pull the switches, cut loose & splice my new switches in. A 2 gang gets 2 new switches, no matter if 1or both were bad. Much faster to swap whole unit than piece by piece. Clean up old cover & set up for next time.
I am a big fan of doing stuff this way, especially changing out multiple outlets, switches, lamps etc when you have to touch something. Otherwise you will be back there in a few months or years to replace something again. What would have cost you an extra few bucks to do earlier now costs $100 or more of time for you and the people who are arranging for the downtime, plus the extra parts as well.

It is also possible that you go in to work on something and find that something else needs fixing. Better to just take care of it at one time if you can.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I am a big fan of doing stuff this way, especially changing out multiple outlets, switches, lamps etc when you have to touch something. Otherwise you will be back there in a few months or years to replace something again. What would have cost you an extra few bucks to do earlier now costs $100 or more of time for you and the people who are arranging for the downtime, plus the extra parts as well.

It is also possible that you go in to work on something and find that something else needs fixing. Better to just take care of it at one time if you can.
Yes, I opened a few & found the 2nd switch bad too, just not gone yet. Or switches jumpered in ways that further complicated removing just one. I usually have plenty of time to prep ahead & have them ready. Then 2 new switches minimize future issues.