Preventing Inverter (SolarEdge) from syncing with generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryangittens

Are there any easy ways to ensure that an inverter won't sync with a generator that has the ability to produce grid quality electricity?

The only way I see is to tie the PV on the suppy side after the transfer switch. This is difficult as we already have some infrastructure for the PV to tie in using a breaker.

Is there any way to leave it on the breaker while ensuring that it'll stay off when the generator kicks in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The other way I have heard is a contactor. Not that I've done it myself.

Perhaps a normally closed contactor that is tied in between the generator and transfer switch.
Or for better fail-safe, a normally open contactor tied between utility and transfer switch.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The other way I have heard is a contactor. Not that I've done it myself.

Perhaps a normally closed contactor that is tied in between the generator and transfer switch.
Or for better fail-safe, a normally open contactor tied between utility and transfer switch.
The latter will not do what is necessary if you manually throw the transfer switch to test the generator.
First option is better, IMHO, although it would shut down the GTI if you tested the generator without transferring the loads.
If the ATS has an aux contact, use that to drive the contactor.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The only way I see is to tie the PV on the suppy side after the transfer switch. This is difficult as we already have some infrastructure for the PV to tie in using a breaker.
Use a point of connection on the utility side of the transfer switch. If by tie-in using a breaker on the load side of transfer switch then go with GoldDigger's suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.