Pricing code inspections (resi / commercial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

six73

Occupation
Electrical Inspector (ICC E-2)
I'm not sure how widespread this practice is, but during the COVID lockdowns my AHJ (Atlanta, GA) and surrounding areas started allowing 3rd party inspections for rough and final inspections and are still doing it. I've met their requirements to do inspections and have been trying to come up with a reasonable pricing model (the GC/electrician/customer pays for it, not the city). Does anyone have any thoughts on calculating numbers for residential and commercial? Industrial would be useful as well, but I don't know how much of that I'll have an opportunity to do right out of the gate. Just to be clear, these would be actual code inspections for new construction, repairs, service upgrades, etc..

Johnhall30

Occupation
Engineer
Louisiana also allows third party. I am a registered third party inspector in my area and I charge 100$ per inspection for typical residential. Commercial also 100$ unless its a large project then the price may go up.

Also for multi family it is a separate fee for each unit.

six73

Occupation
Thanks for that. My gut feeling is that might be a little low for where I'm at, especially for commercial, but I was thinking that flat fee probably made sense until commercial projects reached some point that I haven't quite figured out yet. I also agree about the separate fee for each unit in an MDU, but probably some sort of discount since there's no extra travel involved.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Louisiana also allows third party. I am a registered third party inspector in my area and I charge 100$ per inspection for typical residential. Commercial also 100$ unless its a large project then the price may go up.

Also for multi family it is a separate fee for each unit.
Is that a normal rate seems you would make more doing electrical work just curious

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I am a registered third party inspector in my area and I charge 100$ per inspection for typical residential.

A little low for sure. Here in NY, even when we had the Board of Underwriters inspections (we now have 3rd party also) you fill out the form with items to be inspected and include the quantity of each. As an example, the number of receptacles, switches, lighting outlets, service and size, and low voltage items like TV and data jacks and anything else that needs to be inspected.

They have a price list. $$$

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Do you know if they are deducting any fees from the cost of a permit if using 3rd party inspections?

Everything we’ve done there over the last several months had a 48/hr advance requirement on scheduling, and even then sometimes it was 3 days before they came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

six73

Occupation
Do you know if they are deducting any fees from the cost of a permit if using 3rd party inspections?

Everything we’ve done there over the last several months had a 48/hr advance requirement on scheduling, and even then sometimes it was 3 days before they came.

You can get a reduction in the permit cost when you apply if you state you're going to use 3P. 20% for rough only, 27% for rough and final. I don't know if you can apply that retroactively if you decide to go 3P after getting the permit, but based on my experiences with the city probably not. I've been told they're just flat out not sending inspectors out for residential currently.

Johnhall30

Occupation
Engineer

This is why people use third party. They are faster and more responsive.

In my area there is no deduction on permit fees

Status
Not open for further replies.