Pricing Over the Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizbeedog

I've been asked recently to do some over the phone estimates and I do the best I can with it.

My instincts are that these small jobs should be T&M if site unseen. Many customer's want a price up front. But travel to look at it seems a waste of time for these smaller jobs.

I've noticed a bit of a differrence in perspective among some of you than I experience with my employer.

So, how do you handle these types of jobs and customers?

480sparky

I try to refrain from it.

If pressed, I'll give a priced, and temper that with the price is based solely on the information supplied. If more work or material, etc. is needed, then that will not be included in the price.

I know many people seem to think what we do is easy, so it's simple to them when they're on the phone. But a "My microwave won't work" can easily turn into a new service.

Rawls007

frizbeedog said:
But travel to look at it seems a waste of time for these smaller jobs.

Two words....dispatch fee. When you show up, be prepared to either do the work or collect the fee. I wouldn't even try to give a price over the phone. Customers who ask you to do this are either price shopping or aren't real sure they want the work done in the first place.

Sparky555

Rawls007 said:
Two words....dispatch fee. When you show up, be prepared to either do the work or collect the fee. I wouldn't even try to give a price over the phone. Customers who ask you to do this are either price shopping or aren't real sure they want the work done in the first place.

Dispatch fee, no phone quotes. If you quote an hourly rate, they'll call more ECs for a cheaper hourly rate. If you quote a price, they'll call more ECs for a cheaper quote. The EC willing to lose the most money wins this type of call. I prefer to work for profit.

Dave

emahler

do a favor to the guys who actually specialize in this work...don't even quote it...you will not be right, most of the time you will quote way low...then when a guy who actually looks at the job gives a price, the customer will try to use your "site unseen" price to bargain. it's ugly for everyone...

just don't quote it...

quogueelectric

Usually when they are calling around for prices they are not happy with the first 6 prices they got. Chances are they will not like yours either.

360Youth

No set over the phone prices. I will give a ballpark, but state emphaticly that things may change when I finally get to see it. It may change for the better, it has been known to happen that the job is actually easier than envisioned.

frizbeedog said:
My instincts are that these small jobs should be T&M if site unseen.

Go with your gut. :D

emahler

potential customer: "hey doc, when i bend my arm I get a sharp pain in my shoulder, how much to fix it?"

doctor: "well it could be a bad nerve, or a chipped bone...usually that will cost somewhere between $500 and $1500....however, if you come in and it turns out that that's not it, then it might be more or less"

yep....phone quotes are a good idea for electrical too:D

ceknight

emahler said:
potential customer: "hey doc, when i bend my arm I get a sharp pain in my shoulder, how much to fix it?"

Doc: "Stop bending your arm! That'll be $200, thanks for calling."

:)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At a dinner party, a doctor asked a lawyer what he does about people constantly asking for free advice.

The lawyer said, "I give some simple response and suggest they call for an appointment. Then I send them a bill."

"Hey, that's a great idea!" said the doctor. "I'll have to try it some time. Thanks!"

Two days later, the doctor received a bill from the lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.