Primary service for chiller starters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shicks

I have started a project that has two seperate 19.8KV feeds that pass through a switch gear vault. One feed passes through a transformer vault and then proceeds into the switchgear room. The other feed goes to the other side of the site to the chiller room. Here is where it gets tricky, the transformer here is on an elevated deck above the chiller pump room. The two 6" RMC will pass through the chiller pump room to the level above to the transformer (19.8KV/480V). The secondary will then come back down into the chiller pump room to the starters. My first thought is that the primary conduits will need to be encased in concrete vertical through the room but cant find code sections to back that up. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

bsh

If the 19.2 kV cables are part of the utility service to the building then they need to be encased where they travel through the building - NEC 230.6

shicks

The 19.2V conduits pass through the switching vault before proceeding to the building so I assume you could consider everything from that vault as not a part of utility?

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
If they are not part of the utility company feeders, then no concrete encasement should be required.

You may want to run it by the local AHJ, to get agreement. There could be some additional local requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.