Printer for blueprints

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Only safe way to scale from a print is if it has a square labeled, "This square is exactly 1" in both directions." Then you'll know how far off your printer is-- and if it stretches X more than Y.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Only safe way to scale from a print is if it has a square labeled, "This square is exactly 1" in both directions." Then you'll know how far off your printer is-- and if it stretches X more than Y.
I know that copiers for sure will scale differently in X vs Y.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I considered the HP Design Jet plotter. Runs about $1,000. Will print up to 24x26.

Any plans I get from my structural engineer, architects, etc.. get emailed to me. I just go to a Staples office supply and forward the document and get a couple of copies. Lot cheaper than $1K

Plotter is nice for convenience but it does take up space too. Even my structural engineer sends his stuff to a printing service. His plotter crapped out and wasn't work replacing or fixing.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
Epson makes 2 ecotank printers that will print @ 11x17 which is good size for the field. I have two eco tank printers, I print a lot, the ink is inexpensive, comes in bottles and is easy to refill. Staples has them and you can compare. Each are $549. An 11x17 printed at staples is .50 plus your time and mileage
Only problem with 11x17 is that is not a true half size set of a 24x36 sheet. The scale will be off. You really need a printer that will do 12 x 18 for a true half size print.

cadpoint

Some Gov. agencies require a scale bar on the drawing especially surveying, topo's, site plans and plats, etc..
These are very convenient and you can figure out and use these using a Eng. or Arch. scale, to check against or use.
Remember that it'll scale even if your print is NTS!

I'm sure appropriate scale bar's are downloadable.

In the Field there are a few things you can measure for QA purposes against certain drawings, with a common known size's,
measure against Doorways, or Sidewalks, Structural frame spacing. Main Door residential are usually 3' but could be 32".
Steel roof framing is usually a consistent framing per design. All the Trades have various standards the old staying goes,
"the more you know..." the better. I usually use the ceiling plan for quick referencing, routing and spotting woes...

I wish i never sold my old Hp pen plotter. Probably no access to pens now...

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Like any ink jet printer, they do need periodic exercise to stop clogging
I won't buy inkjet printers anymore because of this. If you have a big enough office that you're always printing to it, it may work out, but if your office is too small and you don't print something every week, it could clog up. And if you ever put it in storage for a few months, good luck getting it to ever work again! Laser printers are more expensive, but they don't clog up, and I think the cost per page printed is lower too.