Problems with the CE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Engineer

I'm having problems with the CE on a job I'm doing. I might be the wrong one, but I want to know what you think before I cause conflict. Here are the problems below:

1. He wants to dimension the location of equipment on site plan, meaning run length of the conduits, the location of the transformer pad, the exact size of the transformer, and then put down the exact materials used for back fill on the drawing. (it's in the spec as well)

(question: this usually determined in the field? I put down the approximate location. The utility will leave markers, usually)

2. He says that the site contractor won't know how to dig and put in the primary conduits, so he/she needs to know fill, the exact conduit run, and a detail of the splicing under the pad. He says because the site contractor will not be a licensed EC.

3. The client wants to delete the man hole, and splice underneath the pad, but the CE doesn't want to b/c of time. I thought it would save time because you won't be pouring a manhole or ordering a precast one.

Please help, and tell me if I'm crazy!!!!! :confused: He's made my life hell since I've started this project.

Lady :(

peter

Lady Sparks Lover,
I would like to understand what a "CE" is. Perhaps "Certified Engineer" or "Construction Engineer". But what is?
Speaking as a member of the Worker Bee class, I would say that, in the field, the specifications are generally not available, and, if available, ignored or not even looked at. This includes the detail sheets except in cases of total confusion.
Compaction is important. Improperly done, you get potholes and chuckholes in your streets. But there are various ways to do this properly depending on the soil type and equipment and attitude available. You can use a whacker or a vibrator or a slurry fill or just fill the whole trench with solid concrete.
~Peter

charlie tuna

on an individual job site --- this information (if needed?) is usually done by the general contractor(his layout team), but we have had large projects that it was in our specs to maintain engineered drawings. this can get very expensive --- a two year job required two full time draftsmen. also we have done large site work ---underground duct banks --- street lighting --- etc. and we maintained demensions for the owner's engineers who took our (plans) information and weekly and transfered these demensions to their "as built" drawings. we learned quickly about compaction as discribed above. it was cheaper for us to pour concrete as backfill than meet the compaction requirments. the second phase of this project was completed by another contractor and the owner sued him, big time, because of street damage due to settlment!!!!!!!!!!! you need to meet with this CE(?) and find out what his/her needs are so you don't do un-necessary work......

boater bill

What I do one the plans that seems to work for the site prep people is to locate the transformer and include the utility pad detail. The P.C.'s here are more than happy to send that detail, you should be able to get it from your's.
Specify the underground conduits, approximate routing, conductors and installed depth with the note "Field coordinate with civil". Anything else is up to the Civil for the ground compaction spec, etc. He is supposed to be the expert on dirt. We (engineers and contractors) are to be the experts on wire. Anything else from you is beyond your resonable scope of responsibility.

Good luck

Lady Engineer

boater bill said:
Anything else from you is beyond your resonable scope of responsibility.

Good luck

Thanks a lot...he's still being pain, but that's just him. Sometimes I feel like if I were a guy he'd hear me.

Happens to me a lot in general.... :( I get disputed on just about everything, and when I'm right there's no apology. I'm not always right, but at least give me some credit when I am. This is definitely a "man's" field, when I'm at a meeting I feel non-existant unless I raise my voice, and when I do I'm a "B". Stinks! :mad:

He thinks the site contractor will not know how to install the conduits correctly. If he or she doesn't then shame on them!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Lady Engineer said:
This is definitely a "man's" field. . . .
It is becoming less so, and even if it is with uncertain slowness, it is certain. And you are part of the reason. Stay with it; we need you.

Regards,
Charlie

rr

My $0.02...

Lady Engineer said:
1. He wants to dimension the location of equipment on site plan, meaning run length of the conduits, the location of the transformer pad, the exact size of the transformer, and then put down the exact materials used for back fill on the drawing. (it's in the spec as well)
IMO, that's the Electrical Contractor's responsibility when they take-off your design for bid. It sounds like the CE is building a case for a change order in case something might have to be shifted in the field a few feet. I ALWAYS provide notes on my drawings that indicate that the "contractor shall field verify equipment locations before work is to begin".

Lady Engineer said:
2. He says that the site contractor won't know how to dig and put in the primary conduits, so he/she needs to know fill, the exact conduit run, and a detail of the splicing under the pad. He says because the site contractor will not be a licensed EC.
That's HIS problem, not yours. If the installing contractor is not a licensed EC, he needs to get one.

Lady Engineer said:
3. The client wants to delete the man hole, and splice underneath the pad, but the CE doesn't want to b/c of time. I thought it would save time because you won't be pouring a manhole or ordering a precast one.
What happens if that splice comes loose under the pad? It seems like it would be better to have a manhole for access.

FWIW....I know the games contractors play. I used to work for an EC. :)

Hang in there Lady. As other's have said, we need more women in the field of engineering. Stand your ground!

Last edited:

Lady Engineer

Yeah, Robbie I don't get it. He's been giving himself a "shining star" image, since we started. Yesterday, I told him it's over kill. But, I just do he says, because he's the PM. Just a little tired of his constant nagging.

Believe it our not there's still some barbaric people out there...but here I feel right at home. Even when I'm wrong, at least I learn from the great people here and move forward.

Thanks for all your comments and help!! :)

Lady :p

charlie tuna

lady engineer,
you said it right --- get used to it -- you are going to come across this problem in the future. basically, you will have to prove your worth for some time ---- when your faced with this type of situation --- get yourself about two hundred - four copy speed memo's... document everything.. have a backup on every move and just make sure your right --- they will back off quickly. after awhile your reputation will straighten these people out before you arrive on site!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.