Product Information - Remote control lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really know which category this would go under (if any). Looking to find some information to remote control some outdoor lighting.
Here's the situation.
Trying to avoid any trenching.
House and garage aprox. 100' apart.
Detached garage and house have independent electric services.
Want to turn on a garage coachlight from the house.
Two local supply houses were of no help.
Leviton had no product for my application.

If we can remote control an orbiting satellite, we've got to be able to turn on a light from 100' away. Right?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Product Information - Remote control lighting

Hey Pierre,

Long time no speak. I've not been on the forum for some time. Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the NASA reply. Laughed pretty good. The guy at leviton had a product if both buildings were on the same side of the transformer, but thier not. My son can remote control a toy car or plane from over 100', so I figure there's got to be some signal maker and reciever out there that will work for this application.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Actually the security equipment supply houses have a remote control similar to a garage door opener but made for general use such as controlling lights. Don't remember the manufacturer, I have used them in the past. These will need a 12v plug-in "wall wart" transformer and have SPDT dry contacts. Use it to control a relay with a 12v coil that will in turn control your lights.

Give ADI a call.

-Hal

[ December 12, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

peter d

I saw some stuff at Home Cheepo from Heath Zenith that operates on radio frequencies rather than power line carrier technology. It was...well, cheap and looked easy to install.

The only other thing I can think of is Lutron's Radio Ra, but it costs megabucks. :eek:

macmikeman

there is a product from Linear Alert sold at ADI. It should do the trick ok. It has a pendant transmitter and a 24 or 12 v reciever. Use the output dry contact to power the coil on a plug in relay and send your light thru the contacts of the relay if your amps are below 6-7 as the contact ratings are about 10 amps on plug in relays.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Ah, Linear. THAT'S the name I was trying to remember above. They actually have several types of remotes to go with the receiver besides the pendent.

-Hal

ghelec

I agree with Kelley,the x-10 wireless works pretty good,you can find it on the web

peter d

I agree with Kelley,the x-10 wireless works pretty good,you can find it on the web
The opening post mentions that the buildings have separate services, so it is unlikely that the x10 system will work reliably, if at all.

The only solution is in the air (radio waves.)

ghelec

I installed some x-10 and the info sheets indicated it could be affected by a neighbor with x-10 devices so I wonder if it will work on two different services.

hurk27

If the two service are fed from the same transformer and you can get both the transmitter and the receiver on the same leg it will work fine the most you might need is a booster which some of the transmitters have them built in. but if you are on different transformers you can use a wireless to x10 power-line converter at the remote building then use any X10 receiver to switch your load and a wireless remote to control the load.

Here is the web page to get what you need:
SmartHome Wireless Remotes

[ December 16, 2004, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

hurk27

I should add that using the wireless converter and as many motion detectors you want can make a very nice way of having every light you want to come on when you pull in the drive way or step out on the back porch. Even the lights in the garage can be turned on with added X10 modules.

I did one house that as the home owner drove into the driveway all the front outside lights would turn on then when they opened the garage door the garage lights would turn on and as they walked into the house the lights would turn on all along the way and after a preset time they would turn off again. It was really neat and they thought it was the best thing they ever saw. And all was done after the house was wired as these X10 systems don't require running any wires.

If you get into it you will be amazed at what you can do.

ghelec

In response to Hurk's post, x-10 sure beats fishing wire. Left the fish tape in the toolbox on the job I used x-10 on. Merry Christmas to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.