Project Management Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

We are taking on projects that are larger than we've done in a while...and we are taking on more of them...it's spreading me pretty thin, and is definitely new territory for me...so...

anyone have any good resources, either online courses, or programs you use, in order to become a bit more efficient and effective?

to give you an idea, we are looking at 3-4 concurrent projects, each ranging from $150k-$750k electrical...each site has on on site super, i'm looking more for me to make sure that each project runs smoothly...

making sure vendors and pricing are correct
timing for orders
keeping track of labor
etc...

thanks for any help...

masterinbama

as a PM you should be able to visit the sites at least once a week.Also let your super's handle the day to day stuff (with your input) the key is to have people on the job you can trust because if you can't you might as well be there yourself

emahler

masterinbama said:
as a PM you should be able to visit the sites at least once a week.Also let your super's handle the day to day stuff (with your input) the key is to have people on the job you can trust because if you can't you might as well be there yourself

beyond that...making sure that all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed...going forward, products that will make the project supers life easier...

khixxx

Not 100% sure what your looking for such as a software, PDA, or maybe just a lead Guy that puts out the fires while your Super does more admin work?

The old company I use to work for had 1 super 4 foreman and a lead on each job. God now that I think of it, it was crazy NFM I don't know how they made money on that job. one thing that helped was the one foreman had his C container and truck very well organized. You walked in and out without digging for stuff.

That company would put guys on thin then all the sudden we had 40 guys doing a rough in on a job for a week. I would get a call around 8pm from the owners son. He was in a panic. Please oh please go to this place tomorrow morning.

hardworkingstiff

MS Project is OK. There are others (depends on what you want to do, level of detail).

If you don't want to go crazy, you must let others do a lot of the work. Your job is to make sure they are getting the 'critical path task' completed on time. Your time is best spent helping everyone understand and identify the CP. MS Project can help with that, it will take some time to get up to speed.

celtic

emahler said:
anyone have any good resources, either online courses, or programs you use, in order to become a bit more efficient and effective?
Have you considered:
http://neca.org/source/NECA_TrainingEducation_3743.asp

Alternately, a BSAST in Construction, what be what you are interested in.

The link above is for:
Thomas Edison State College,
101 W. State St,
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176
(888) 442-8372

The classes/course is distance learning, so no need to travel to Trenton :wink:.

I believe NJIT (Newark)also offered similar classes/course study and is distance learning.

emahler

macmikeman

There are three dusty old books in my library that were of great help to me. They are

Critical Path Method - A Self Study Text by Jose Mitrani P.E

Project Management by Kerzner

and Improving Project Managment Skills + Techniques by Spanner

The last is the best one.

Another highly recommended source of info might be Rabbitgun in Colorado.

wamegojim

emahler said:

http://conest.com/JobTrac.asp?t=Project%20Management

The software at the above link from ConEst seems to be fairly effective. I had looked into a Construction Management course online at http://www.csus.edu/cm/

Also, UC-Davis has a certificate program. That's in California. But there are tons of courses out there if that is what you are looking for. Nothing substitutes for doing it.

baje

I have a few questions ..... Are you the only project manager on site. If you are here is how to proceed. use the computer write out as many of the task you think you will need to complete. Decide how many foremen you will need then meet with them outline the time frame and spell out the quality of work you expect and let them know that the cost is a non variable... then use MS project and list all the major task apply time to them and you will have a general time frame. You will be able to work from there.

emahler

baje said:
I have a few questions ..... Are you the only project manager on site. If you are here is how to proceed. use the computer write out as many of the task you think you will need to complete. Decide how many foremen you will need then meet with them outline the time frame and spell out the quality of work you expect and let them know that the cost is a non variable... then use MS project and list all the major task apply time to them and you will have a general time frame. You will be able to work from there.

nah, that's the big problem...i'm not onsite...

in the past we've done mostly service work and jobs that were <$50,000....it was simple enough to beat the information out of them and keep some control over it...

but with the project we have going on, and are getting into, it needs to be much more systematic and regular. So I am looking for a way to keep track of everything going on so that there are no surprises...

on this note, just talked to a friend of mine about some email issues last week (after i started this thread)...turns out he is just finished writing a server based document management system that is similar to an FTP site, but more user friendly...i'll get a chance to see it in a week or 2...i'm trying to talk him in to creating a commercial version for the construction industry...

baje

Dont try to re-invent the wheel. MS project is wonderful once you get the hang of it. You can track mutiple projects on one sheet. Track the work going on , the resources , the cost and it gives you reports on time critical path whatever you want. I have done this for eight jobs at once and handled it. Gave reports. you just have to keep monitoring it everyday...I mean everyday. Good luck ....maybe you should do a short course in PM studies. Keys will be ..time,cost and quality with the right resources.

tryinghard

Raise your overhead as slow as possible and only when needed. I my opinion one of the hardest parts of business is drafting a written business plan. I used to say "let it run you over before you decide to grow or shrink" but this means your victimized from the market rather than controlling what you will or wont do based on market and what one can offer.

I think if you're doing around $1 million+/- gross receipts annually you should have a good estimating program (that includes estimating software) and you should be able to handle the project management without purchasing expensive software or web based links. To accomplish this you will need great office filing habits and good PC skills I say this because project management is mainly about communication and tracking.

Communication to: estimate accurately, purchase, RFI, RFP, Potential Change Order (PCO), change orders, design, email & phone correspondence, man power, & job phasing.
Tracking to include: all the same items of communicating plus, billing, accounts receivable (pending receipt of billings), & close out.

Project management is integral to causing success and profit on any particular job. Jobs today have extremely fast deadlines and if its public works they demand extreme accuracy (these will be thoroughly scrutinized), for these reasons today an electrical contract must be managed electronically.

Most PC's have Microsoft Office Suite, which includes software that is correctly used for these needs. Office Suite usually includes: Outlook (email & calendar), Excel (spreadsheet), & Word (RFI, RFP, PCO, any written correspondence). As example most, if not all estimating, software can export to Excel spreadsheet; this is a good function for basic management to create phase plan, purchase, and track. Good office skills today require the use of a PC. Set up each project as a file folder using a template that includes other consistent folders inside. The goal is to limit scrolling to find information. Visualize a non-electronic file system these were file cabinets that were used "categorically or topically", file electronically the same.

Successful project management requires good communication and connection to each project and to each projects accounting. These are two distinctive items and each require accurate management, so a successful project manager will have a system that includes quick accurate access to each of these.

One of the companies I used to work for used Accubids "ConstructJob Project Management Software" and I really like this, it's a great tool! Maybe Microsoft Office Suite or Project is right for your size and will get your business through the next 2-5 years, only you can decide this. But again grow according to your business plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.