project manager????

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
I am the supervising (and ONLY) electrician for an HVAC, electrical and (now) plumbing company. Last year we got new owner ( who are 2 (so far) great guys).

They hired a lady who ( I thought) was a sales lady / HVAC estimator. I now find out she is a project manager.

My Labrador knows more about electrical work than she does. She is also one of those who thinks only her jobs are important. She is perpetually changing my schedule and sending me on HVAC "scut work" and my electrical job fall to the wayside or my estimates dont get done (as in I dont get the office time to put them together).

Yesterday I picked up a very quick service repair job for an 87 yr old widow where her service riser got damaged due to a tree falling on the utility triplex, and our PM kinda went ballistic telling me we dont pick up jobs "off the street" .... BTW the call the I wanted moved was troubleshooting an AC system in a house where NO ONE was living, and the homeowner bought his own equipment and did his own installation ( dont get me started on that one). I did prevail, and got the lady's service riser replaced, but I just dont like being treated like a first year apprentice when I have almost 50 years as an electrician.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to handle this? I am planning on talking to the owner in the morning.

Hg

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Thank you! :) I needed that affirmation! :) I did the ran my own company for 27 years (kind of still do for a select few old customers). Got tired of chasing money to pay my bills and worse were the jobs I estimated and was undercut by a potentially unlicensed handyman. So 7 years ago I made the "jump" and found these folks. Our founder is still semi involved, but doing more of small service work and things like that but not actively doing day to day operations, and he is one of those really great people that thinks like do as to customer service first.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
IT went VERY well ( I think)....... Told owner 1 that I do not appreciate being treated like a first year apprentice, and he said he would talk to PM This was a good start , he IS a nice guy and i am sure this isnt the first time he has heard this. Owner 2 comes by to let me know I am going to be late for first job which we had rescheduled twice ( I knew this), So I started to explain what was up. Owner 1 saved me the trouble .... He said Pm has been treating me like and asshole and that doesnt fly!

I did get a sort of apology later in the day from PM. But I did get the last laugh on one of her jobs..... Need to get a branch circuit to a garage for the "man cave" mini split. Was supposed to run 50 ft emt across the basement. Found a conduit with 2 #10's that ran the small electric heater out there..... Add 2 #12's and a run to the outdoor disconnect.... Never told PM my secret and I got the last laugh cuz PM never got the breaker for the split, home depot was 20 min each way !

All in all things went well, thank you for the concerns.

BTW: I am 64, and have been licensed since 1984, I try not to mention my EET degree too often (had to get that to make the folks happy when I was young)

Howard