Projector screen remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Had a builder ask me today about his church's motorized projector screen. He said the control is a keyed switch with a center-off, up and down. So my assumption is the switch is 120v.

Their problem is the switch is up by the pulpit, and is not in a very convenient spot to use when they need it.

So they would like to have another control in the back of the sanctuary, where they plug in computers to feed the LCD projector. I haven't seen the church yet, but he tells me it would be very difficult (not to mention hideous-looking) to pipe another key switch to another location.

So I am dipping my bucket into the well of wisdom here and asking if anyone knows of a remote, either IR or RF, that can be wired into the existing switch so they don't have to run pipe across the church ceiling?

480sparky

ultramegabob said:
could you hide low voltage wire? these guys make some pretty neat stuff, and you can call and talk to an engineer and explain what you are doing, they may make something you could use.

I'm not sure it's low-voltage. By his description, it would be 120v controls. Just a hot wire down, and two switch legs back up, one for up and one for down. I've wired several like that, and they've all been 120v.

quogueelectric

480sparky said:
I'm not sure it's low-voltage. By his description, it would be 120v controls. Just a hot wire down, and two switch legs back up, one for up and one for down. I've wired several like that, and they've all been 120v.
I would be almost certain that it is a momentary contact line voltage. How hard would it be to get a 3 wire mc cable fished across the ceiling and parrallel the switch with the other switch?? That would be the cheapest easiest way in my opinion.

ultramegabob

give them a call and tell them what you want to do, I bet they make something you could use, they have saved me some real headaches a few times.

480sparky

quogueelectric said:
I would be almost certain that it is a momentary contact line voltage. How hard would it be to get a 3 wire mc cable fished across the ceiling and parrallel the switch with the other switch?? That would be the cheapest easiest way in my opinion.

Hard? No. Pretty? Definitely not.

gar

Occupation
EE
080419-1956 EST

You might consider X10 products as a way to kluge the function you want. However, personal experience with these devices has been lack or reliability. That was a number of years ago.

The lamp modules use a Triac switch. The appliance modules use a relay.

The control can be RF or thru the power line.

Control is one button for on and a different button for off. Then a different address of for a different output relay. You would use two output relays plus an additional interlocking relay to prevent both directions simultaneously.

I found the following web site close to useless for need technical details.
http://www.x10-store.com/x10knbaandre.html

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
Had a builder ask me today about his church's motorized projector screen. He said the control is a keyed switch with a center-off, up and down. So my assumption is the switch is 120v.

Their problem is the switch is up by the pulpit, and is not in a very convenient spot to use when they need it.

So they would like to have another control in the back of the sanctuary, where they plug in computers to feed the LCD projector. I haven't seen the church yet, but he tells me it would be very difficult (not to mention hideous-looking) to pipe another key switch to another location.

So I am dipping my bucket into the well of wisdom here and asking if anyone knows of a remote, either IR or RF, that can be wired into the existing switch so they don't have to run pipe across the church ceiling?

Can the projector just be automatically lowered and raised by using the power button on the LCD unit? The last one I did I had to jump out the UP/DOWN switch and the screen motor just had a trigger input on it.

jrdsg

Power line carrier or RF

Power line carrier or RF

I'm with Gar, I'd use either a powerline carrier product [X10 is one of many available, I like HAI's UPB products], or, even easier, a wireless receiver and a remote fob. Visonic and many other alarm suppliers have wireless fobs with one or more dry contact outputs for controls. ADI should have plenty of options for you.

stanav

stanav

stanav

IR, RF, or low voltage can be used. IR has a distance limit of about 30 feet. To use any of these, the screen needs a low voltage module, which can be installed near the screen and used with the high voltage key switch. Rf will negate the need for wire so may be the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.